• GTI

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I really need your opinion on what car to choose. I'm looking at a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S and a 2003 GTI 20th Anniversary. Both are completely unmolested, have similar miles, and are being asked for the same price.

Now onto my question, in your (non-biased opinion) what do you think would be a better car for me? I'm 18, just about to start college and I have a part-time job working in a grocery store.

I'm really leaning toward the GTI, but I am really concerned about reliability. At the same time though, I don't wanna own the Celica and keep thinking in the back of my head "shoot I wish I would of got that GTI..."

This is really killing me so any help would be great!

Thanks everyone :D

The Celica:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4460778051.html

The GTI:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4479328516.html

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
It all depends on what your future goals are for the car you choose. Honestly it seems that your heart says GTI. Wikipedia says that the car has some nice extras. I'd hurry up and go for a test drive on both and let that help me decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk4#GTI_20th_Anniversary_Edition_.282003.29

Plus looks like there were only 1,000 of that GTI produced in that yellow. Lord knows GTIs are easy to modify as well and this edition should have Recaro's in it. I also have an aftermarket Golf blacked out front grill without the logo that I'll let go cheap (seriously I do have one brand new there's a story behind it). :chuckles:

I love my Celica but for you I'd say Golf GTI just make sure you go drive and do a thorough inspection.

You know what, the more I read that wikipage and search the net for the Golf the more I say get it as long as it's not a mechanical piece of crap. It's modded from the factory, will have good resale value with VW enthusiasts and you'll have at least as much fun in it as a stock Celica GT-S since you probably won't have any money for mods at first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I owned the Celica I'd keep her stock minus a few bolt ons...
Leaving me money to actually fix things and maybe even get a girlfriend (fat chance but still lol)

With the GTI I'd just do a bunch of engine work to get her over 275lb-ft of torque. (after 300 you'll throw a connecting rod or 2)
But I'll have no money to fix things and be one of those guys thats basically married to their car.

You guys seem to be a lot nicer. I've already been called an idiot and a douchenozzle just for posting on vwvortex lol.

·
Registered
296 Posts
For all reasons choose the celica.

And it is not because i have one, my first car was a vw polo gti 2000 wich i loved
1.6 120 bhp never sold on the u.s.a, was limited edition 3000 units in europe only.

and i know vw cars and like them very much.

I can tell you right away that that model is not even comparable to the celica gts.

Stock to stock slower, less mpg due mostly to weight, defenitly more expensive to run,
not even close in terms of dynamics.
the only comparable golf gti is the 2005 model onward.

Due yourself a favor and choose the celica, or if you like the vw brand try to find a 2005 golf gti at the same price or better yet a scirroco 2.0 t

Sheers

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would say get the Golf if you want to make hp gains easier and plan on doing work yourself. Those cars are expensive as hell to maintain and are not built with reliability in mind, despite it being "German Engineering". I have a 2004 A4 1.8t and it is the most unreliable car I've ever owned at 90k miles.

Get the Celica if you want fewer headaches and a reliable, a fun car. The only downside is the lack of significant power gains.

·
2,644 Posts
personally i like the golf to drive, the celica to look at, the gold is turbo, faster, and is more fun to drive, because who doesn't love driving a car with a turbo?

TURBO

anyways, it depends on your needs

celica will be cheaper all around, insurance, gas, repairs, maintance, but if you want a fun car i'd personally go for the GTI

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Part time job and college. Get the Celica, will most likely be easier to keep running pristine. The GTI, while not unreliable, has very expensive, awkward or unique issues and maintenance requirements, even if you do them yourself. It will cost more in the end and may be a bad thing for a part time worker. NOW, that being said, they are both used and anything can go wring in both of them. So since they are both used, I would say Celica but it can always still have issues.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
personally i like the golf to drive, the celica to look at, the gold is turbo, faster, and is more fun to drive, because who doesn't love driving a car with a turbo?

TURBO

anyways, it depends on your needs

celica will be cheaper all around, insurance, gas, repairs, maintance, but if you want a fun car i'd personally go for the GTI
Turbo maintenance is constant and pita. Not ideal for a part time worker in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I'm starting to lean toward the Celica. Y'all have made some very good points. I also tend to be everyone's taxi (since I own an Xterra right now). How is the rear leg room?

·
New Kid
282 Posts
Now I'm starting to lean toward the Celica. Y'all have made some very good points. I also tend to be everyone's taxi (since I own an Xterra right now). How is the rear leg room?
What leg room? I would only throw someone I hated back there. Jk. Its not much. But I had a six foot friend back there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
Everything about that Camaro is crap, but it has LS1 so it is made up for lol. As far as GTI vs Celica I say f*ck having to deal with a 1.8T motor.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Cobalt's are built like rolling garbage bins, the SS is just a faster rolling trash can. Same crappy build quality but with a bunch more power to make shit go wrong faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm actually in Winter Garden (about 30min west of Orlando), but if there is a strictly Celica meet that may be the deciding factor. I've been wanting to go to meets for so long but I'm not gonna roll up in my Xterra haha.

The Cobalt is out btw. Only one heavily filtered picture and it really is a trash can on wheels, like Bitter said.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.