NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have the matrix xrs from Hass turbo.
I checked my plugs today after about 1000miles, they were new when turbo installed.
Hass installed the factory plugsDenso SK20R11.
I feel the engine needs colder plugs as in pics you'll see,,When installed they where gapped at .044mm..Im running 93oct fuel and boost is set at 9.5psi..The engine just seems to be very hot to me ..
My water temps are 194-196F
and my EGTs are 1400*F

I really think I need colder plugs just dont know which to get IK22 or 24

heres the pics its damn hard to get good close ups-they just seemed to indure a lot of heat in a short time..

Any advice would be much appriciated thanx Rio

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just ordered a pair of IK24's for my supercharger. They seem to be the most popular for F/I 2zz's....if you need even colder then u could go for ik22's like some others have.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sbocaj55 said:
I just ordered a pair of IK24's for my supercharger. They seem to be the most popular for F/I 2zz's....if you need even colder then u could go for ik22's like some others have.
I was under the impression the higher # the colder Ex..IK22 /2*colder Ik24 /4*colder ...

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Jesse IL said:
Gads! I can't believe he tuned a turbo 2ZZ on stock plugs :faint: I'd run IK24 or IK27 in there.
My thoughts exactly, I though it was alwasy a given to run ik24 then go from there

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jesse IL said:
Gads! I can't believe he tuned a turbo 2ZZ on stock plugs :faint: I'd run IK24 or IK27 in there.
I know right !!!!!
I was shocked when I pulled em out to check em...hey jessie any Idea what caused them to close up and move forward..Will light detonation cause this or just heat?????

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Someone may have closed the gap on one of the plugs to 0.028". You aren't really supposed to change gap that much, as it will make the electrode end up at a funny angle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jesse IL said:
Someone may have closed the gap on one of the plugs to 0.028". You aren't really supposed to change gap that much, as it will make the electrode end up at a funny angle.
Well acctually only 1 plug had a 044 gap the other 3 had 028s wierd

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Haas probably closed up the gap because the spark was getting blown out.

It amazes me that he would leave stock plugs in - thats a seriously halfass way to go about things.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
what does the car do when the spark gets blown out?

ive been breaking in my car and sometimes in third with slowly climbing rpms the car does a little hiccup. no significant knock(< 28) and only seen the cel once. im a gt with gt28rs and ik22 at whatever they came gapped at.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:

It amazes me that he would leave stock plugs in - thats a seriously halfass way to go about things.
Its funny how often I use the phrase "that's a seriously halfass way to go about things" when dealing with aftermarket shops.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
mukalicious said:
what does the car do when the spark gets blown out?

ive been breaking in my car and sometimes in third with slowly climbing rpms the car does a little hiccup. no significant knock(< 28) and only seen the cel once. im a gt with gt28rs and ik22 at whatever they came gapped at.
It will shidder or just loose power, or sometimes just not make as much power as it should, Its essentially a misfire event cause by improper flamefront propagation

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Jesse IL said:
Boosted2.0 said:

Its funny how often I use the phrase "that's a seriously halfass way to go about things" when dealing with aftermarket shops.
No Lie

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hey Rio, Jay left my stockers in too, but gapped them tighter. I kept getting misfire problems so I switched to a step colder bosch copper plugs. They seem to be working fine thus far. I will check to see if they are fouling and give you an update tonight.

I'm not sure why he left them in. I remember bringing this up and he said that they were a step colder than the 1zz plugs, so they should be fine. I'm not sure of his reasoning, but there is a reason since he goes to a colder plug with the 1zz kit. Maybe he will appear and enlighten us fools.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
22xy said:
Hey Rio, Jay left my stockers in too, but gapped them tighter. I kept getting misfire problems so I switched to a step colder bosch copper plugs. They seem to be working fine thus far. I will check to see if they are fouling and give you an update tonight.

I'm not sure why he left them in. I remember bringing this up and he said that they were a step colder than the 1zz plugs, so they should be fine. I'm not sure of his reasoning, but there is a reason since he goes to a colder plug with the 1zz kit. Maybe he will appear and enlighten us fools.
hey bud,
ye Im 100% sure he left em in on purpose(cause he told another kit buyer for the XRS to do the same) I guess maybe he just closed up the gap(only problem is he missed one lol! it was .044 the others were .028...Anyway I changed plugs today to 2 degress colder Ik24s...Right off it seems to run much smoother and peppier<if thats a word lol! The stock ones just really seemed to be getting over hot lookin ya know...Curious how yours will look as well on stockers...man I tell ya this fool here could use a little enlightenment lol me trying to understand Hydra is like learning ABC's in russian with a chinese twist :chuckles: Brain Pain!!!!!!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Of course the 2ZZ plugs are colder thanthe 1ZZ - the motor is 11.5:1 compression. Thats why its even MORE important to get colder plugs in it when you go FI

·
Registered
571 Posts
I checked the plugs today. I think I might go another step colder. The plugs were not fouled, but the gaps were closer than when I put them in about 800-1000 miles ago. They started out at 0.044 inches and were now at about 0.039 inches. Strange, but true.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
22xy said:
I checked the plugs today. I think I might go another step colder. The plugs were not fouled, but the gaps were closer than when I put them in about 800-1000 miles ago. They started out at 0.044 inches and were now at about 0.039 inches. Strange, but true.
Hmmm that is wierd...mine were not fouled either..
Did your plugs look light tan or burnt dark brown or rich black????and what boost level are ya running daily(Im running 9.5psi daily)
Im still kinda wandering if a plug running way to hot could cause it to close up like that..I put IK24s in and right off it ran much smoother and idled better..Ill check these every week and see how they look ,Im guessing there gonna be a nice light tanish color,If they do still look hot Im gonna try IK27s..
I can tell ya the car does seem much happier right now with thr IK24s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts