NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got a seibon carbon fiber hood but it was painted black over the carbon fiber. There are only two stripes of carbon fiber showing and I am really trying to wet sand the hood to bring its original look back without destroying anything. What I have done so far is started wet sanding just the hood scoop with 1,000 1,500 and 2,000 grit sand paper and its not looking to good. What I have read is if it was sanded down before the black paint then Im screwed. Any advice is much appreciated. I guess worst comes to worst I would just have to buy a carbon fiber hood scoop but I think it would look like rice on a red car.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Your whole goal here is to just sand off the paint, without going into too much of the clear/resin.

Wet sand with 800+blocks to speed up the job. Take it slow. Spray it down with water often to inspect where carbon is visible/where it's not. Once it's all sanded and you can see carbon everywhere, it will need to be re cleared. It won't look shiny and nice until you get a clear coat on there, but it's important that no more black is showing before doing so.

· Registered
1,962 Posts
I'd go on down to 5 or 600 to get paint off. Then go on to finer grades. Reclearing is the best way.(gets UV protection) If you reclear stop at 800-1000. Sometimes the top gel coat is thick enough to go on through the finer grits and polish back out.

· Registered
1,962 Posts
I've got a oem style cf hood that has some long cracks in the top gel coat. Been meanin to find out what happens. When you use paint stripper on it. Know if I sand it that far it would screw up the weave.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm sticking to 600 right now. I did the hood scoop first and I'm guessing it is different then the one that came with the hood because all I'm getting is white underneath so I'm just gonna get a new hood scoop, I decided to try the hood and it's coming right off the pictures make it looks like hell but it's looking pretty good now, thanks for the help

· Registered
1,962 Posts
Everything Ive read about using paint stripper on carbon fiber was bad, everyone was saying it would mess up the carbon fiber.
I'm gonna find out soon. With a whole hood. If it screws it up. I'll just trash it and know not to try it on the vader hood I have. Prolly won't never use em anyway. Iprefer a painted steel hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.