NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my voltmeter is beggining to tell me that i need a new alternator.....

what alternator do i need?
where should i buy it?

also, the reason i know its going is because of my voltmeter... i also have the 100k mile platinum warantee on the car, so this should be covered... but they might blame the alternator failure on my gauges....

and then if i take the gauges off i have no way of proving the alternator is going...

so what should i do?

- thanks

·
Registered
906 Posts
is your battery light on your gauge cluster on???
cause if it is and the battery or alternator is going bad...

to check the alternator if it's good or bad... start the car.. then unplugged the positive cable from the alternator... if the car stall after you remove the positive cable from the battery then you my friend have a bad alternator...
if not.. then your battery might be bad,,,

my alternator went out after 38K miles... cause me something like $350-$450 bucks for the damn thing... it sux...

hope warranty cover it...
good luck...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
sorry dumbo newbie question....how does it work that if you remove the positive on the battery while the car is running....it could still run? so I guess I should ask how is the alternator wired into the electrical system?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know 100% that its not my battery...

basically the car only uses the battery to start and also to power
stuff when the car is not running...

the alternator is the heart of the electrical system, when the car is running it powers everything electrical including your spark plugs...

so should this be covered under warrantee?

·
Registered
906 Posts
yea it should... when mine was going bad i was searching around and i believe someone on here got it cover under the standard 36K miles warranty...
how much miles you got???
if you got the 100 mile platium thingy... it should be cover...
good luck...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i have the 100k warantee... the only thing is that i'd need to put my car back to stock... which would be a real PITA...

and the reason i know its going bad is cause of my voltmeter and if i leave the a pillar gauges on, then they'll blame the problem on that, but if i take them off then i have no way of proving my case untill the car dies... i'm in a catch 22 here.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
^^ can't you just say you suspect the alternator is going out (you feel your Celica in you)...and if they check it and it really is...then you don't have to pay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts