NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, here's the situation:
I was driving behind a truck in and I'm not sure exactly how, but the truck kicked up a huge bunch of...well, something (if I had to, I'd guess a bunch of rocks or gravel?) and it hit my hood at high speed. It was like a clump that broke up and then spread. There is a big scuff mark, some paint chipping, and some deep scratches ... actually, here's a pic:

Now here's my dilemma/ what I need advice about:
For my own reasons that it isn't worth going into detail here, I cannot take this to my insurance co. The dealer said 630.oo to fix and repaint the hood. A local body shop said 570.00. A couple of other places I checked fell in between these 2...then I found a small local paint and body repair that had just opened in my area (they have another shop in Charlotte that's been around a few years) and said they could do it for about 450.00, but that most of their cost would be for color matching and materials, and because they dont work directly with Toyota they could not promise a perfect match. They mentioned they're running a special for their opening and they could do a paint job on the whole car for 587.00 - this would include painting the whole outside, a full clearcoat, fixing the hood before painting, painting inside and under the hatch, inside the engine bay, both door jams - the whole 9 yards. I could paint the car any color I wanted - and they had this really nice really dark color called bright red pearl - looks very deep, and it shines really red whenever the light hits it. Looks like a darker candy apple red in the sunlight. I like the idea of the new color. It is not a Maaco job, as they will do a clearcoat, etc - and they will guarantee the paintjob for 2 years. I guess I'm concerned that it sounds too good to be true at that price. What do you all think? What kind of quesions should I ask to get more info before I do this? I know very little about paint etc. and any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've never had any experience with MAACO and I don't think I ever will. Don't know if you believe in the saying, you get what you pay for. Although it's not always true, more than often it holds. Now as far as I'm concerned, silver is a hard color to match. Although it is the hood and not a body panel that can easily be picked out when the color is off a bit, it is always super noticeble when you own the car. I'd say go with a local body shop but not one that just opened. Find one that people would recommend. Better yet, go check it out and see what kind of cars they are working on. You'll see whether their customers care about their cars or just an easy way out. The dealership will always charge you an extra arm and leg, that's a given.

The way I see it, if other people or hell even me that's in your situation, a CF hood will be on the car the next week. But you might not like CF so get it fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i would get a cf hood if i was you....but if you dont plan on doing any other exterior mods it would look weird...and on that paint job it could either be a great deal and you could just be lucking out or you could just get screwed...and its gonna cost you a lot of money if you get screwed...try to see if you can find some people that went to their shop in charlotte

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I am assumin gyour deductible is higher than what it will cost to fix the damage thats why you catn turn it into insurance. You have to remember that you get what you pay for. Just cuz its cheap doesnt mean its gonna be good and vice versa. You might as well just get the hood fixed at a good shop with good paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.