NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two things actually...

first: clear coat or wax? I've seen clear coat products at a few auto shops I figured since it came with clear coat from dealer why not get it.. but then waxing has always been a great sealer no? Can you guys help me out with this one? what's the main difference and which would u prefer?

Second: i've never washed my car straight from tap (hose), it's always been washed at do it yourself car washes or full service detailer places. How do I prevent those hard water (white spots) from appearing? Thnx !!! :)

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
1st: The clear coat is paint. It protects the color coat. Most times it protects the color coat from scratches etc., but it is not viewed as sacraficial. Polishes and waxes are used to cover the clear and make it look like glass. Waxing is the finishing touch to lock the clear coat away from the elements.
Everybody (all new cars) has a clear coat, but not everyone cares to cover it with wax. See thread: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73989 The before pic is a clear coat w/ swirls and spiderwebbing. That after pic is w/ them removed by polishing and waxing. Which would you rather your car look like?

2nd: Get a water softener for the hose/house. It's the only sure-fire way to keep them from forming. Use the search to find out how to remove them once they've formed, there are several threads.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
coOOlcelica said:
water softener?
For example http://www.culligan.com/category.asp?CategoryID=10&Section=1&image1.x=10&image1.y=9

My parents have one installed. Some people like them some don't. If you have never seen one in action it makes the water feel very "slippery." You use far less soap in any type of washing you do. When you're done your hands aren't dried out and feel like you just applied moisturizer and ran them under the water. Kind of weird and tough to describe.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great! thank you bme107!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts