NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go,

I got my C2Power stage 1 turbo installed 2 months ago.
MY stock clutch wasn't up to the power so I ordered a SPEC clutch (Stage 2, kevlar disc) and a SPEC flywheel.

I got it installed last tuesday, since then I drove about 350 miles pretty easy, I did some hard accelerations now and then, but only with the clutch fully up.

Tonight I drove a bit and since I am getting used to my new fw I was taking off while slipping the clutch more than needed. After that I felt it slipping in 3rd :(
I drove 100 miles before that and no problem at all.

Three questions...
1st
Should the garage have bled my clutch after installing a new one?

2nd
Compared to my stock clutch it engages almost at the top (last 2 cm), while my stock clutch started engagement when I lifted the pedal about 1 cm. Could it be my clutch is not fully engaging? Should I just bleed my clutch line?

3rd
Could it be I am still in my break-in period? I let the clutch 'cool off' a while and then it didn't slip anymore.

I am a bit clueless about what it could be, I will try to adjust the rod behind the pedal tomorrow (no 12 mm wrench) and see if that helps anything.

Any suggestions or possible solutions are greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Immo said:

Three questions...
1st
Should the garage have bled my clutch after installing a new one?

2nd
Compared to my stock clutch it engages almost at the top (last 2 cm), while my stock clutch started engagement when I lifted the pedal about 1 cm. Could it be my clutch is not fully engaging? Should I just bleed my clutch line?

3rd
Could it be I am still in my break-in period? I let the clutch 'cool off' a while and then it didn't slip anymore.

I am a bit clueless about what it could be, I will try to adjust the rod behind the pedal tomorrow (no 12 mm wrench) and see if that helps anything.

Any suggestions or possible solutions are greatly appreciated..
1st question - I am not sure but maybe you should bleed it out and see if it helps

2nd question - I just got my ACT XT clutch in and it engages immediatley, I think you can adjust the engagement point from behind the pedal, its possible the shop messed it up.

3rd question - Your new clutch shouldnt slip at all. What was the clutches torque rating? Yes you are still in the break in period(500 - 1000 miles) but your clutch should not slip.

I would go back to the shop and ask them why your brand new clutch is slipping and why it engages so high.

Also I posted a review on my clutch and flywheel, it should be a little further down on the page, but that is what your clutch should somewhat feel like.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TTT

I could really use your help
My estimated torque is about 190 lb/ft, this is not dynoed, but based on c2gas' predictions of a stage 1 kit. The clutch is rated @ 260 lb/ft, so that shoudln't be the problem.

When putting on new brakes the discs and pads have to get used to each other too before they work really good... That is not the case with a new clutch?

gonna try adjusting the clutch tonight

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well the clutch does take a little while to break in, some people told me 500 miles and some people told me 1000, but your clutch should not slip. I think you should just take it easy on the clutch for another couple hundred miles. Since your clutch is rated at 260 tourque that shouldnt be a problem. How were you driving when it was slipping, was it slipping right after you shift or was it slipping when it was all the way out and you were flooring it? I've had mine in for about 200 miles and it doesnt slip at all, it actually grips very hard.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, what happened was this.
I was driving normally and still getting used to high engagement point. I drove at about 3500 rpm with my clutch slipping for a few seconds. After that is slipped in 3rd gear and higher
I took it easy for about 10 minutes and after that it didn't slip anymore, not even in 6th..

This is SPEC's reply:

<reply>

It is normal to have slippage during the breakin period. The pedal height is set at 50-60% up the pedal for that unit, so you can speed shift without pressing the pedal all the way down. It shouldn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts