NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to say I'm excited to join this group, but I'm doing so because my 16 year old daughter is getting a 7th gen Celica (2005) as her first car. I can't say I'm too excited about the daughter driving and first car part. That aside, I'm looking forward to interacting with the group and learning about these cars as I inevitably spend countless hours troubleshooting and wrenching. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit, as well!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd like to say I'm excited to join this group, but I'm doing so because my 16 year old daughter is getting a 7th gen Celica (2005) as her first car. I can't say I'm too excited about the daughter driving and first car part. That aside, I'm looking forward to interacting with the group and learning about these cars as I inevitably spend countless hours troubleshooting and wrenching. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit, as well!
Welcome to the community

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,663 Posts
Welcome aboard. Fortunately, by 2005, most of the bugs were worked out. So, hopefully, your wrenching will be limited to mostly maintenance items - fluids, brakes, tires, etc. Of importance when seeking any info here will be whether it is a GT or GT-S and whether automatic or standard. From the fatherly perspective, it's a pretty safe vehicle with better than average handling & braking. My daughter had one. :)

Reactions: Bolt Snapper

·
Registered
513 Posts
Celica is one of the most reliable car on the road, your daughter is less likely to have it broken down and get stranded. It's a cool and fun car to drive at low or high speeds, known to hold the curves better than all other rice rockets..

It's a simple, reliable and durable machine. I have 330K miles in my 2002 GTS. I abused it a lot but it still runs smooth and strong, mostly original, except a new DENSO radiator, alternator rebuilt myself; new MAF, used charcoal canister, new KSF rear bearing hubs, new KYB AGX struts front and back. 1 set engine mounts. Broke coolant hose and serpentine belt, overheated the engine a couple times, it's still solid.

The car design is very versatile with the hatchback and fold down rear seats. It opens up with enough room like a pick up truck. By the time they go to college, they can move furniture around with it, desk, chest drawer, table, chairs, not needing dad's help.

People who drove my car were all impressed how solid, stable and precise the car is even compared to high-performance cars like BMWs. The girls would laugh how other sedans and SUVs felt bouncy, unstable, imprecise, loose steering ect. The GTS is a very good grand touring car for high-speed freeway cruising. It smooths out bumps and is stable on the road; steering and braking are always precise and smooth. Drivers of high-performance cars would be surprised why this car feels so slow at over 100 MPH.

The styling is a classic sculpture inspired by the powerful but elegant shape of the US Navy's McDonald Douglas F/A-18 attack jet. It even has a fun face. Compared to it the Acura RSX's styling is ordinary and boxy, not to mention not as much fun to drive.

A lady on my street drives a BMW 335 biturbo. She was delighted to see my car, said she liked it so much, it looked so cute. I have been stopped by 2 family groups with teen-age girls in traffic. The girl shrieked out in delight " Daddy, what kind of car is this?" I guessed she wanted her dad to buy her one hehehe. A whole group of 30 bicyclists surrounded my car at a red light, because a teenage girl on her bike wanted to take a good look and find out what car that was. Got pulled over by a moto cop in Beverly Hills; he thought it was a Ferrari and just wanted a good look at this beautiful car.

The 2ZZ engine is bullet-proof, durable, quick revving, high-performance with Yamaha's high-speed cam head, same architecture as the V-10 engine in $500K Lexus LFA. Lotus selected this engine for their sports cars and their product line became a huge success.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the replies! We picked it up yesterday, and it's pretty rough. I'm afraid I'll have quite a bit to do to get it road worthy. I was thoroughly impressed, however, at how resilient this model is. This car has sat under a tree for most of the past four years. It had 2 quarts of ancient oil in it. I changed oil, started it, and drove it nearly 200 miles home with at least 5 gallons of old gas in it. Despite all the neglect and abuse, it ran really good. I have a P0420 code, which I assume is because they said it uses oil. There's also a pending P0505 code, which I haven't dug into yet. Busy today digging the mouse nests out of it.

·
15,663 Posts
GT? Is it a 2005 or is it an earlier MY? Check the DOM on the door panel.

·
15,663 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I passes SMOG and saves me from buying a new $600 CAT.
Does the oil consumption actually cause any kind of obstruction of the cat, or just fowl up the O2 sensors and readings? If the latter, I have no issue with masking.

The car's only a few weeks old to me, but in 500 miles it really hasn't used much - if any - oil, so I'm hoping the consumption rate is not as bad as some I've read about.

·
15,663 Posts
If it's an oil burning '00-'02, then it will foul the cat. Private message me the VIN or find an online source to confirm its origin.

I'd also reset the ECU & see if it returns. Pull the EFI fuse to reset it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Does the oil consumption actually cause any kind of obstruction of the cat, or just fowl up the O2 sensors and readings? If the latter, I have no issue with masking.

The car's only a few weeks old to me, but in 500 miles it really hasn't used much - if any - oil, so I'm hoping the consumption rate is not as bad as some I've read about.
If the engine burns oil, dirty exhaust will foul both Oxygen sensors and the CAT.

If you ran 500 miles without burning any or much oil, then you really have no oil burning problem.

AFAIK in my own experiences, some percentage of cars with CO CO2 NO all below SMOG thresholds, may still have the P0420 Cat inefficiency code. That code fails the SMOG test.

The cause may be a marginal Cat , or less likely the O2 S2 producing erroneous high O2 level reading, indicating the Cat is not cleaning pollution. A lot of cars have this P0420 code. Replacing the Cat with a cheap after market cat will not last very long. It's better to mask the O2 S2.

·
15,663 Posts
Add oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7th gen Celica (2005) is a decent ride if it was taken care of, um sure she loves it.
Welcome to the forum
7th gen Celica (2005) is a decent ride if it was taken care of, um sure she loves it.
Welcome to the forum
Well, I wouldn't say this one has necessarily been taken care of, but I've halfway nursed it back to health; and yes - she loves it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts