NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own two 2000 GT's and I love the cars. Both are using oil at about a qt per 100 miles. This past week, I removed the head of one to see if it is possible to correct the issue. I have read several threads describing possible repairs, however I cannot find the technical data that I need. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way for me to tell if the head is warped or do I have to have it evaluated at a machine shop?

2. I am under the impression the pistons and the rings have an inherent design problem. Should I replace the pistons or have them machined/drilled. If replaced, what type should I use (manufacturer). If machined, to what specifications?

3. Are there specific rings that I should use? If so, what size and type (manufacturer)?

4. Do I need to have the cylinders honed? If so, to what specifications?

I apologize if I have not used the correct "buzz words."

·
Poopin' on Scrubz
3,744 Posts
Hi there. Welcome to nc.org!

As for the oil consumption... The 1ZZ was designed in the 90's when they didn't put so much sulfer in the gas. This day and age, there's more than there was and the piston rings get burnt up and you start to consume oil.

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I think that you just need to change the rings out with the newer updated ones (maybe pistons as well). Get the walls honed, only for the 1ZZ, you don't hone 2ZZ's.

Hopefully someone else with more know-how with the 1ZZ chimes in.

Scratch that, looks like you'll need the newer OEM updated pistons as well... Toyota redesigned them as well as the piston rings...

·
You know nothing.
2,146 Posts
Hi. I'm from PA also but can't help answer your questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts