NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any help with this would be appreciated. I have an '02 Celi GT. I just got the car (inherited). Went to fill up today and as soon as I squeezed the handle to put gas in it let off as if the tank was full. The display on the panel shows it at a 1/4 tank. Now, obviously I know the display could be wrong ...but seeing as I just changed the fuel pump 5 days ago I know it's not. So, does anyone know what could be causing this issue? It took me about 10 mins to put just 2 gallons in. Thanks in advance.

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
I have had this happen to me as well. I pull the nozzle out a few inches, and it stays clicked..and still shuts off when the car is ACTUALLY full.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sry, I should've noted that I did pull the nozzle out a few inches and even more, but still cuts off. I tried all the way out squeezing really slow to let it flow in, but the gas builds up, then slowly flows down. It seems like there may be a narrrowing/blockage of the pipe leading down to the tank. It's been sitting for nearly a year, the cap has been on it tho.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sry, I should've noted that I did pull the nozzle out a few inches and even more, but still cuts off. I tried all the way out squeezing really slow to let it flow in, but the gas builds up, then slowly flows down. It seems like there may be a narrrowing/blockage of the pipe leading down to the tank. It's been sitting for nearly a year, the cap has been on it tho.
Did you drain the gas that had been previously in it?

I'd let her run until she's about empty, then take the tank off and loof for any blockage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't drain the old gas. I know, bad move ...but when I changed the fuel pump it cranked right up, I was so happy I just drove it to the house and started working on other things with it. Today was the first day I actually put it on the road legal and drove it to work, figured Id stop and put some high octane in it and there I was with a prob.

·
Registered
372 Posts
sit for a year??? unless a stabilizer was put in the gas tank, gas usually turns to varnish....im surprise it started, 2nd the oil starts to sludge up.....good luck with everything hopefully none of the oil passageways get clogged up...as far as the gas pumping problem, thats new to me

·
Registered
362 Posts
that was fkn stupid letting it sit for a year.
id highly recommend changing all ur fluids.
and then adding a bottle of seafoam 1/3 tank 1/3 intake 1/3 oil
to hopefully degunk anything that maybe be gunked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa bro, easy. The reason it sat for a year is bc it was in probate. I inherited the car from a friend that died. I appreciate your input, but no need for remarks like that.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Yep, he's right...this is the Newbie Zone after all.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
EVERY TIME you fill up? Or THAT time?

I ask because I have encountered faulty nozzles. I have to barely squeeze the lever and it works and even then it clicks. I just quit and try a different pump. Rare but possible. Obviously, if you've filled up since then, disregard my comment:gap:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had that problem on my 98 Contour, I had to fill up really slow and it really sucked, but I never got around to checking it out as I was always fixing everything else that was wrong with that car.

Other people had that issue with the contour, supposedly it was a fault in the non-returnless fuel systems found in the pre-99' contours or the fuel pump, they may have had a TSB but I was way out of warranty status.

Not sure what caused it though, sorry OP. Agree with ^^, ensure it happens every time you fill up.

The first few weeks I had my contour I got really annoyed because I thought i kept getting fauly pumps, but it was just the car.

Is the fuel pump proper? Did you ensure nothing is clogged/broken when it was off.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Good point. I had that problem with a really cheap gas station pump with another vehicle years back. But it was only that station and their pumps.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EVERY TIME you fill up? Or THAT time?

I ask because I have encountered faulty nozzles. I have to barely squeeze the lever and it works and even then it clicks. I just quit and try a different pump. Rare but possible. Obviously, if you've filled up since then, disregard my comment:gap:
I've only tried once filling it up. I will try a different pump. Didn't really think of that as "common sense" as that sounds. I did have a G35 that did that with a certain Exxon station, nowhere near as bad tho. Just didn't think it could happen to two vehicles in a row. Bla.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good thing I'm a noob. Waste of a thread. It was that gas pump. Went to a diff one today and filled up just fine.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Well, we can laugh about it and celebrate then. :chuckles:

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts