NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored and needed a new project, so I bought a 1997 Civic Hatchback. I've only had it a few days, but I love this little car. It's bone stock and very clean. Feels very solid on the road. No rattles or squeaks at all.

It's almost 10 years old with 70,000 and it rides better than my 2002 Celica that only has 30,000 miles on it. Plus it only cost $3,500.

As I wear the stock motor out over the next couple years, I'll start shopping for a better motor. I don't know a damn thing about Hondas, but this seemed like a fun project. So I guess it's time for me to start reading the Civic forums.

This is about what I would like mine to look like when it's done....nothing fancy, all my mods will be under the hood....

What do you guys think? Sound like a good project for a second car?

·
Banned
4,182 Posts
not bad. after my paint job ill be looking for a 94-95 civic, not hatchback. Ill also be going all motor on that.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
another FWD project? I say, keep it stock. Looks nice just like that!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
140 GT said:
Why 94-95? Something wrong with 97+?

po9i said:
invest in a lojack
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know theft was a problem with these cars. Wouldn't a hidden kill switch be cheaper? I don't think I'll have a problem though. This is a Military town. I haven't even locked my doors in the 7 years I've lived here.

twistedGTS said:
another FWD project?
I'm going a completely different route with this Civic than the Celica. I want this car to be a really nice daily driver. I'll keep adding sound deadening materials until I can't hear one bit of road or engine noise.

I would like to put a more powerful, built motor in it, but I want this one to still get great gas mileage. Maybe set it up to handle a shot of nitrous every now and then, not sure yet.

I will keep it as lightweight as possible though. I'm shopping for a set of 10 pound wheels right now. Stock weight for this car is 2,253 lbs. The sound deadening will add weight of course, but with a few other weight reductions, it should still be pretty light.

I'm also searching for the best motor you can put in this thing. Looks like it's going to be the B18, but I'm not sure. I just started researching this stuff.

Anybody know if there is something better than the B18? I would probably look like a real dumbass if I asked this question on a Civic forum.

twistedGTS said:
I say, keep it stock.
That was a good one. I'm old, but I'm not that old. I see way too much potential in this car to leave it stock.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
badceli said:
Royalcelica00 said:
Never heard of it. I'll do a search on those. Thanks.
H22 are the prelude. Best engine to mod are the B18C & B16 series...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
1zz-fe ce|ica said:
k20a something lol .. rsx-s motor. Its been done on civics and integras. Very fast bone stock.
Not sure if would fit on that car (For plug and play). Unless you are loaded then its possible. It fits on the 2001 Civic EX + motor mounts, my brother was about to get one but just ended up selling the car.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the recommendations everybody. The B18 sounds great. Unlike my Celica, I want this project to be as cheap as possible. In fact, I'm in no hurry to build another motor just yet. Compared to the truck I've been driving, this Civic seems pretty fast to me right now and it's bone stock.

I might even just add the basic mods to this motor and call it a day. I say that now, but I get bored with things pretty quick. We'll see.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i'm looking into buying either a hatch or an integra, and the hatch im looking at has an H22 in it. runs 14.5s with a bad dizzy, ****ty street tires, and heavy 18s. after im done with it it shall be much, much faster.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jayspeedy24 said:
damn dude that is the car i've always wanted..thats a bad car to tune with so much possibilities..
Really? I never seen myself in a Civic. Civics have always been for ricers in my opinion....especially hatchbacks. But the more I drive it, the more I like it. Problem is....now I want to modify it, but once I modify the exterior....I'm a ricer.

2zzswapped said:
i'm looking into buying either a hatch or an integra, and the hatch im looking at has an H22 in it. runs 14.5s with a bad dizzy, ****ty street tires, and heavy 18s. after im done with it it shall be much, much faster.
Nice. Since Larryd has a Civic now, let's all buy Civics and change the name of this site.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts