NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, When I downshift from 5th-6th gear into 4th gear, the tranny has been grinding (seemed like a synchro problem). It's been like this for about 6-7k miles now, I have just babied it, and have gotten along fine. My schedule had finally free'd up enough for me to take it to the dealership today (46k on the odometer now).

They made me agree to sign for an $80 diagnose fee if the problem was clutch related (I knew it wasn't so I just signed anyways). Sure enough, they just called me back, and said they diagnosed it, and it was NOT a clutch problem, and that they would be ordering me a completely new Manual Transmission! I verified this several times just to make sure they weren't just gonna swap the bad synchro, and they kept saying no, your getting a whole new MTX!

They are gonna give me back the car to drive untill the new MTX comes in, then I will take it back while they swap the new tranny! I was surprised to not have them try to feed me a laod of crap about getting this fixed. Guess things have improved a little!

Also, reading through some recent threads, there seem to be allot of people having tranny problems, guess this is just one more weak part to these cars...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same exact problem..........I found out a way to bypass the grinding.

B4 downshifting to 4th, shift to 3rd (don't let go of the clutch yet) and into 4th fast and release the clutch. That should solve your problem. It sure did solved mine's. My 4th still grinds if i don't, first go into 3rd.

So it's like........... feet on clutch....3rd then 4th and then release clutch and push gas.

tell me if it works..

·
Registered
102 Posts
im gettin me a new one too...they said that the transmission seems to be the problem...but i mis-shifted but i guess i caught it before it did any real engine damage.

Just ruined the tranny...but i dont see how..

·
Registered
827 Posts
i misshifted when i had my gts too... had 46k... it's a good thing i got rid of it before i started having problems with it. Now i just hope that nothing goes wrong with the "2"

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread...I am the EXACT situation that Joe Kewl and Purple_GTS were in...the dealership just called and they are replacing the entire transmission...but they said that the clutch is not getting replaced...

Did you guys buy a new clutch and have them throw it in? I talked to them and they say the clutch is in great shape...

I don't launch with it much, if at all...yet :D

What do you all think?

Usman

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
damn im having problems with grinding on intial start when going into 3rd at normal shifting speed and down shifting into 3rd. But only on the intial start in the morning when the car is cold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im on number 3!

·
Registered
161 Posts
wish I could get a new just like that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts