NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago started noticing something like a whirring noise. Noticed it only seems to occur noticably when I am accellerating in gear, sound does not happen when revving in nuetral. Did notice today I can slightly hear it by having the car in gear and barely letting up on the clutch while driving. I took it to 2 shops who seemed to have a hard time understand what I was hearing. Sound like a familiar problem? I did some googling and best I could come up with fluid or pinion gear. Fluid is full and according to the tranny shop pinion gear noise should happen when you're moving and not in gear as well. Just a background, about 2 months ago noticed a distinct grind from 4 to 5. Went ahead and changed the fluid out (Redline MT-90) and noticed no change. Seems like the grind from 4 to 5 isn't as bad now a few months later. Any chance there's some debris floating around in there?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
its possible. there is a very strong magnet in the bottom of the case that is supposed to catch any small metal flakes and such...without going in there you really cant make a definate diagnosis

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to move out of state this week and work so took it into 2 shops. The transmission shops are 0 for 2 on telling me what it might be. Took it to an Aamco first since they had a free diagnosis coupon, got it there at 9am and took 10 min to let them know the car history and what mods it had. 7 hours and 3 phone calls later they told me it was against their policy to work on modified cars and earlier that they were trying to reproduce the sound, working on it etc. Took it to an independent shop, cool guy but definitely the intake/exhaust/motor mount noises really distracted him so he had a hard time picking the sound out. Was really frustrating since to me it's as loud as a supercharger whine. He wasn't sure what it could be but didn't think it was the transmission but couldn't explain why it didn't happen while moving and out of gear. Wouldn't the bearings and axle make a noise while moving with the car out of gear?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I'd rule out things like wheel bearings and axles first. Try jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels by hand.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a similar problem with my '02 GTS, I just purchased it, and put a short shifter in it, so I wasn't sure if that was causing it. Any more info from anyone?
Jason

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Pressure plate bolts loose/release bearing? Just thinking out loud as usual.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jesse IL said:
I'd rule out things like wheel bearings and axles first. Try jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels by hand.

these would make a sound any time the wheels are moving, from what I undersand he can be cruising and release the clutch and put it in neutral and the sound goes away..... correct? If so then that rules out wheel bearings and axles etc. If it only makes the sound when it is in gear it sounds like an output shaft problem. if you engage the clutch in neutral the input shaft is spinning because the clutch plate is compressed by the clutch spring. your input shaft is splined into your clutch plate. so when the clutch spring compress onto the clutch disc it squeezes it onto the flywheel so that ithe input shaft is spinning with the motor..... so if you rev it with your foot off the clutch your a spinning your input shaft. But no power is tranfered to the output.

So if you put it in neutral and let your foot off the clutch and rev it does it make the sound?

Does it make the sound with your foot on the pedal and pedal depressed to the floor?

Does it sound worse in first, and get quier as you work towrds 6th or is it almost non existant in 1st and gradually get louder the higher up in gear you go?

Is it constant no matter the load on your engine. Like if you are traveling at 55 in 6th gear and you take your foot off the gas does the sound deminish and return when you give it gas? or does that not make any diffrence.

It is extremely hard to diagnose things over the computer. These questions are asuming that the sound is coming from the tranny

·
Registered
161 Posts
these would make a sound any time the wheels are moving, from what I undersand he can be cruising and release the clutch and put it in neutral and the sound goes away..... correct?

Yes

If so then that rules out wheel bearings and axles etc. If it only makes the sound when it is in gear it sounds like an output shaft problem. if you engage the clutch in neutral the input shaft is spinning because the clutch plate is compressed by the clutch spring. your input shaft is splined into your clutch plate. so when the clutch spring compress onto the clutch disc it squeezes it onto the flywheel so that ithe input shaft is spinning with the motor..... so if you rev it with your foot off the clutch your a spinning your input shaft. But no power is tranfered to the output.

So if you put it in neutral and let your foot off the clutch and rev it does it make the sound?

No

Does it make the sound with your foot on the pedal and pedal depressed to the floor?

I'll assume that you mean the clutch pedal. I haven't tried this step yet.

Does it sound worse in first, and get quier as you work towrds 6th or is it almost non existant in 1st and gradually get louder the higher up in gear you go?

It's definately louder in 1st through 3rd

Is it constant no matter the load on your engine. Like if you are traveling at 55 in 6th gear and you take your foot off the gas does the sound deminish and return when you give it gas? or does that not make any diffrence.

When traveling at 55 in 6th if I take my foot off the gas, the sound completely goes away.

No one has ever experienced noise coming from a short shifter right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
to me that sounds like a front bearing on your output shaft. This bearing gets the most wear and tear. Not a simple fix. Dont quote me 100% on this but from what I have heard from the symptoms it sounds like output shaft front bearing. But im not there driving it so I cant be 100% on it

·
Registered
801 Posts
seems to me the syncros are worn out

·
Registered
700 Posts
I get the same sounds but it's mainly from a stop and when I'm in 1st gear. If I'm aggressive on my pull off and give it plenty of gas I don't hear it though. I also don't hear it in neutral. Just in low gears and when with not much gas. I keep hearing syncros. What are the symptoms of that? Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
XmbalmR said:
About 2 weeks ago started noticing something like a whirring noise. Noticed it only seems to occur noticably when I am accellerating in gear, sound does not happen when revving in nuetral. Did notice today I can slightly hear it by having the car in gear and barely letting up on the clutch while driving. I took it to 2 shops who seemed to have a hard time understand what I was hearing. Sound like a familiar problem? I did some googling and best I could come up with fluid or pinion gear. Fluid is full and according to the tranny shop pinion gear noise should happen when you're moving and not in gear as well. Just a background, about 2 months ago noticed a distinct grind from 4 to 5. Went ahead and changed the fluid out (Redline MT-90) and noticed no change. Seems like the grind from 4 to 5 isn't as bad now a few months later. Any chance there's some debris floating around in there?
I just had a similiar problem with my 2000 GT 5spd. Whenever i was pressing on the accelerator in any of the 5 gears, it would make a whirring type noise. 1st gear didn't sound too bad but the noise got progressivley worse untill it sounded real bad in 5th, when I was in Neutral it didn't make the noise. I didn't have the cash at the time to get it fixed so I let it go until one day I heard a loud mechanical noise coming from the transmission, I made it too the dealership which as luck would have it was close by. As it turned out that noise I heard was the Primary bearing that the input shaft slides into literly Split in Half!!!, sending bearings flying through my transmission. When the bearing split it gouged the case, rendering my Tranny useless. When I get my car back from the shop I'll take pictures of the damage and post them so you guys can see how entensive the damage was.

I found a used 6spd GTS tranny from a salvage yard for $1000cdn and am currently having it installed. along with a new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, tranny seals, Fresh synthetic gear oil, and the cost of labour it's gonna set me back about $2100cdn. The moral of the story is if You hear a strange noise that you know is not normal take the car in and get it looked at right away. If you can't afford it at the time borrow some cash and get it fixed, it will save you some major dollars in the end

1 - 13 of 13 Posts