NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota just announced the 2004 Prius. Normally that wouldn't be a bid deal ssince teh car was only launched in 2003, but it looks like they cut the model cycle short and released it early. But enough about that - whats REALLY interesting is that they added a 50% increase in power to the electic motor and bumped it to a maximum 500V operating capacity. If you know anything about electric motors you know that a 50% increase in power will be available from a dead stop. They also claim to have re tuned the gas motor to put out more power. Long story short: we may actually have to worry about getting smoked off the line by a Prius. Anyways they have some info on it off this link. The new body design looks like it might actually lend itself well to a body kit, and the back looks kind of like the old Honda CRX hatchbacks did.

http://www.toyota.com/index2.html

Click the Prius link at the bottom

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You have to go to the vehicle list and select it on there.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Down at the bottom it says:

"Start learning about the all-new 2004 Prius. Powered by Hybrid Synergy Drive.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
okay i see it... i went to the prius newsletter

doesnt look too bad... has the 350Z headlight thing going on there....

arent electric vehicles crazy off the line? like instant torque?

instead of nitrous tank it should have a huge ass battery...

im topping out at 140. i need 2 energizers... the big ones.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
They're putting the Synergy in there?
This could make for an interesting vehicle (for those of you who don't know, Synergy is Lexus' revolutionary hybrid engine, which will be performance-oriented).

EDIT: It looks a lot like the ES300

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
I drove the '03 Prius for the past 2 days while the car was in for work after the shop screwed up the 30K service by not bleeding the air from the coolant reservoir.

Car

Power

"Racing" an exotic

·
Registered
578 Posts
WillyWonka said:
I drove the '03 Prius for the past 2 days while the car was in for work after the shop screwed up the 30K service by not bleeding the air from the coolant reservoir.
and your experience with the Prius is....

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
not a bad car! looks like hybrids are gonna be the wave of the future.. makes sense don't it?

i'm glad to see a car thats so environmentally friendly put out some more power.. i wouldn't mind getting one as a commuter car.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Dang after looking at that I am thinking about trading my Celica in on it. I love how it looks. I also like the new double cab Tundra. I got rid of my tundra for the wrx and it looks like all the reasons I got rid of it for were addressed in the new one. Good going Toyota now if they would only come out with that FXs concept car.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
I would take that over the current Prius......althought the one pictured is the prototype, I mean they are talking about it being bluetooth capable and all......

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
a1even said:

and your experience with the Prius is....
First, with the Prius, the key must be held down for a few seconds to get the car started. The car's acceleration from low RPM's was surprising. Of course its not a world-beater, but its not bad considering the power plant.

The cornering was reasonable and the ride was relatively soft in the hills of Maryland. Quick lane changes at 70 mph had some recognizable body sway but remember we're econo here. Of course the gas mileage was solid. I averaged 46 mpg during my tour. The '03 Prius averages 52 mph on the highway.

The dash was rather cool and a big change from the norm. The large screen where you'd expect to find a GPS also handled the radio and power monitor displays. Its hard not to tell how fast you're driving with the massive mph display at the top of the dash.

Its a great commuter, but the list on my loan-a-Prius was a shade over $21,000. Its more expensive, but the car will save you cash at the pump in the long run. If the lowered environmental impact means a good amount to you, paying more may mean less.

·
Registered
721 Posts
:puke: :wtf:

The old Prius wasn't that bad, but THIS....

OTOH, the interior is nice :gap:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Well the thing about the price WW is fed govt gives you 2k back in your taxes for purchasing a hybrid. Plus I got my dealer here giving me about 1500-2k off a new one so my end price was around 17k after fed tax savings. I actually think it gets 52 in the city due to you using the electric motor more and a little less on the hw because using the gas motor at high speeds. I know a few people that have them and I hear nothing but good things about them. I may trade in the Celica for one as my wife is going to bedriving soon (no she is not underage perverts).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts