NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... figure this would be a perfect place to ask about some audio stuff ;)

Ok what do you think of these subs, quality wise?
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mm124

And what one or two of there amplifiers would be able to power 2 of those subs?
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/amps/

Also, what subs/amps would you suggest, I would like to keep it all to one brand name and for it not to be all about sound but it still should be one of the main things, cause I want them to look good as well. Also, I am wanting to work in a $700.00 budget.

not a fan of the whole audiobahn chromed out flame look.

-greg

·
Registered
638 Posts
before u go buying polk subs, im just letting u know that i have a JL W7 for sale. perfect condition 350$ shipped :) will blow that polk AWAY, u just have to get a pretty amp to go with it :), im just saying though,

·
Registered
638 Posts
i dont see polk as being that "great" for car audio. . . but i know that i wouldn't spend 529$ for their c500.1 . . . seems like too much atleast for polk ? .. . you could get a JL 500/1 for cheaper . .. .

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Originally posted by CelicaRcr01
Alpine Typer R > all, if you can't afford an amp to push a dual voice coil sub, get the Alpine Type S
Anything that says "Type R" doesn't own anything. Some one sent me a song that had a kid saying "it's not a fast car if it ain't a type R." The only thing "Type R" is the best at is getting laughs. :)

Alpine has some good stuff, but their subs aren't anything to go crazy over. They are decent at a decent price. But there are far better subs out there for the sub $200 range that will stomp all over the Alpine subs.

As for the Polk subs, they are just too overpriced and aren't the best choice.

Curt

·
Registered
878 Posts
isnt there a problem with the W7s where you have to have the JL amp in order to match the ohm onload since its set at 1.5 instead of 2ohms or 4 ohms?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by IScrewedUp
JL compatibility <ALL
I never had a JL amp with any JL Speakers or subs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes , you wouldn't need to , but for the oh powerful W7s you do cause they are set at 1.5 ohm voice coils. And JL is the only company with a 1.5 ohm amp.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Yes , you wouldn't need to , but for the oh powerful W7s you do cause they are set at 1.5 ohm voice coils. And JL is the only company with a 1.5 ohm amp.
I had a w7 12. I just used a Mono Kenwood amp. No problems.

·
Registered
878 Posts
dang what did you do with it , thats the EXACT sub I want.

I have a Memphis ST-1500D amp that I want to push it with. Mono as well I believe.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
dang what did you do with it , thats the EXACT sub I want.

I have a Memphis ST-1500D amp that I want to push it with. Mono as well I believe.
It was stolen out of my 66 falcon.

I have a memphis amp for sale in the for sale section. Know any buyers ? :gap:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For a sub with an ohm load of 1.5, any amp that is stable down to 1-ohm mono will work. There is no truth to a JL sub requiring a JL amp.

Curt

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so back on subject, what do u think about the specs of the polk momo subs?

-greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts