NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2000 Celica GTS about a week ago and have been enjoying it tremendously. Has a lot more zip then my 95 acura integra did. Put new tires on it and am getting a new radio installed in a couple days.

On my integra I had an intake which was nice because as you all know whenever you reach close to redline the sound is so sweet. I am a little concerned with something though that my parents told me which maybe you guys can tell me if it is true or not. My parents, knowing that I am not a slow driver said something about the 2000 GTS having problems with the engine exploding at red line? And how Toyota will NOT cover your engine if that happens because it is stored on the car if you ever hit red line?

I know that driving around in redline is obviously not good for your car, but are my parents lying to me about this or does the 2000 GTS really have problems with hitting redline and exploding engines? I am curious mostly because I don't feel like wasting the money installing an intake if the slightest reving will cause my engine to explode or void toyota's warrenty.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
ha, your parents are just messing with you. The only high rev problems people have had with the Celi is misshifting. And if you have a manual, I recommend that you get used to the shifter before shifting at high rpms.

Check out the regional forums, maybe there's a meet coming up in your area.

Have fun with it and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well you shouldn't have any problems bringing the GTS to it's redline and beyond daily, I mean the power is meant to be had at those high RPMs anyways so you're fine, If i'm not mistaken the Celica's valvetrain is good for up to 9K or so. Your parents are only half right, there were horror stories of engine exploding when the Celica was introduced not because of Engine design but misshifts. You see 2000-2001 Celicas use ultra close gates and its real easy to miss 4th coming from 3rd and ending up in 2nd. <<< if you do that at high RPMS you'll end up being at like 11K rpms, KAbOOM! Take extra precautions when shifting and you'll be fine, or better yet get yourself a TRD Short Shifter, I heard that helps a lot!! Intake will not cause any harm whatsoever and helps more than anything, unless you get a CAI and go through rivers...but thats another thread.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How much did you pay for it? I'll probably be getting a 2000 gts soon (i'm pretty much broke right now, that's why I'm getting used). How many miles, what was the condition of the car, etc?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
greg said:
How much did you pay for it? I'll probably be getting a 2000 gts soon (i'm pretty much broke right now, that's why I'm getting used). How many miles, what was the condition of the car, etc?
2000GTS, leather, premium sound, cd changer, stick, sun roof, not sure what else is standard and what was optional though.... Only bad thing was 60,000 miles and bad tires. They were asking 13,900 we talked em down to 12,700 with new tires. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. That is a little below the going rate in St. Louis. (car condition was perfect, no scratches or dents, or damage to the interior).

Josh

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
2000 GT-S: 100,000+ miles and hitting redline/fuel cut-off virtually every day.

Just watch that shift with the 6-speed. Keep your elbow to the right side of the console and ensure you're moving directly to the proper gates - practice is a good thing.

WAAAAY back when I almost mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd when looking for 4th. Caught it in time and depressed the clutch again to avoid any real problem. Never come near doing it since.

Give it that oil change every 3-5,000 miles and consider synthetic. Keep up on maintenance.

I'm countin' on at least another 150,000 from mine.

Above all - enjoy!

P.S. And I do hope you shopped for insurance. I just switched this year and am saving almost *40%* from what I was paying!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts