NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wanted to say what's up to all the forum people. Just got my 03 Black Celica GT-S 6-speed last sunday. It's my first manual Tranny car, so It's been a learning experience, especially with this car's extremely sensitive gas pedal.

So far I've won a few races against people who weren't racing. Lost to a 350z (duh), and a RSX type-s (didn't know how to drive it yet) and had it up to 120 mph. It's been incredibly fun to drive though, I'm very happy with my decision. Especially since I got it for 17k with only 8k miles on it.

Any thoughts on what mods I should look into first, I was thinking maybe struts, cold air intake?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new car. First thing I would do is change the oil to synthetic if not already done and then first mod would be suspension and tires. I recommend anything with a conservative drop such as eibach prokit, trd, tein s-tech to conserve the life of the shocks. The s-tech springs are pretty cheap and won't set you back but $140 as opposed to the pro kit which will be $230. Most people upgrade suspension first as it is the superb area of the celica with sway bars, strut bars and springs. After thats done I would start with the engine, injen intake, tpr exhaust, headers, and PowerFC if you have the money.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
17 k is a super great price for it man.

Originally posted by GT-S Caliente
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new car. First thing I would do is change the oil to synthetic if not already done and then first mod would be suspension and tires. I recommend anything with a conservative drop such as eibach prokit, trd, tein s-tech to conserve the life of the shocks. The s-tech springs are pretty cheap and won't set you back but $140 as opposed to the pro kit which will be $230. Most people upgrade suspension first as it is the superb area of the celica with sway bars, strut bars and springs. After thats done I would start with the engine, injen intake, tpr exhaust, headers, and PowerFC if you have the money.
Celica doesnt have headers;)

Originally posted by tdunn1981
Hey, just wanted to say what's up to all the forum people. Just got my 03 Black Celica GT-S 6-speed last sunday. It's my first manual Tranny car, so It's been a learning experience, especially with this car's extremely sensitive gas pedal.

So far I've won a few races against people who weren't racing. Lost to a 350z (duh), and a RSX type-s (didn't know how to drive it yet) and had it up to 120 mph. It's been incredibly fun to drive though, I'm very happy with my decision. Especially since I got it for 17k with only 8k miles on it.

Any thoughts on what mods I should look into first, I was thinking maybe struts, cold air intake?
As for first mod. Id say TPR Cold Air Intake. The best out there and at a very decent price.

TPR Exhaust would compliment it nicely.

Also, as mentioned the suspension is the most fun mod possible.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
sorry i own a 94 mustang gt used to saying headers :gap: "header" my apoligies for the confusion
No confusion. Im just a Spelling Nazi:gap:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome neophyte.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I was thinking about switching to synthetic. It makes sense with such a high revving engine to put quality oil in it. I already use premium gas.

Won't sport suspensions make the ride much stiffer? I actually enjoy how much smoother the suspension is then my 99 sentra I traded in, felt every bad part of the road in that car.

I really like the idea of lowering my car though, maybe 1.5-2 inches. Then get some nice 18"s It would really improve the look of the car immensely.

This header-headers stuff... you just mean because its an I4 instead of a V6, so there is only one set of pipes coming off the combustion chamber?

Any other maintenance tips? I really like to take good care of my vehicles.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
its one pipe technically.

Also, yes a drop makes the ride stiffer.

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
You'd probably be happy with a TRD springs/shocks combo. It's a less agressive drop with a smoother ride than other brands.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Originally posted by NoRulzAt140 Mph
its one pipe technically.

Also, yes a drop makes the ride stiffer.
Well, technically, it's 4 pipes going into one pipe exiting out of the back of the car.

PowerFC if you have the money.
Power FC will not work with the 03 due to the drive by wire system.

·
Registered
625 Posts
tdunn1981 said:

Won't sport suspensions make the ride much stiffer? I actually enjoy how much smoother the suspension is then my 99 sentra I traded in, felt every bad part of the road in that car.
I really like the idea of lowering my car though, maybe 1.5-2 inches. Then get some nice 18"s It would really improve the look of the car immensely.
The greater the amount you lower your car the more adverse the effects will be. For driveability sake and comfort I would not recommend lowering the car beyond 1.5 inches not only will your stock struts suffer more if you do, but you will have a smaller spring with a stiffer rate all leading to less suspension travel making the car inhospitable. The ride quality will be a little harder than stock but very tolerable if you lower it 1-1.5 inches, you also maintain the abitlity to clear everyday objects like speed bumps and ramps. If you like the look of a lowered car all you have to do is buy a bodykit as most of them (excluding TRD action package front) come down lower than the stock components making the car seem closer the ground.
This header-headers stuff... you just mean because its an I4 instead of a V6, so there is only one set of pipes coming off the combustion chamber?
Correct.

Any other maintenance tips? I really like to take good care of my vehicles.
Here's a link to the Repair & Maintenance forum.
Repair and Maintenance
Also do a search of maintenance topics as they all have been discussed most likely and if you find nothing then open a thread. Most important thing to remember is the regular and major services 15k,30k,45k and try do as much as the dealer offers within your budget for your 15k, 30k, 45k... Remember the goal of maintenance is the prevention of buildup and breakdowns. Also check your tire pressure regularly and all fluid levels.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Power FC will not work with the 03 due to the drive by wire system.
Sorry I did not see that he had a 2003 but there are talks of people that will be attempting swapping the drive by wire systems.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drive-by-wire? Is that some kind of traction control system?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by tdunn1981
Drive-by-wire? Is that some kind of traction control system?
Electronic throttle as opposed a Cable throttle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts