NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
1) not sure when Toyota Aust will stop selling them but i would say soon because they are no longer supplying the TRD bodykits. But of course that is aftermarket anyway. Standard parts are also expensive, eg $800 for a standard 15" alloy wheel.

2) I have a '99 so it was practically one of the first 7th gen celicas and I haven't had any issues with clutch or gear changing. A few issues that are generic to 7th gens include:
- squealing accessory belt in cold/wet starts (Toyota changed my pretensioner under warranty, but i still had to use a Gatorback aftermarket accessory belt to fix the issue),
- squealing brake when reversing very slowly in cold/wet,
- rear suspension creak fix under warranty
These all seem to be niggling issues rather than performance/reliability affecting. My celica is still extremely fuel efficient but it drinks PULP.

3) ZR had larger 16" alloy wheels, sunroof, abs, fog lights, metal brake/accel pedals, metal door sill, upgraded stereo,
SX has the same engine, 15" alloys, cruise control, cd player, a/c

I suspect the price of 2nd hand ZR / SX are similar so go for a ZR if u can find one... maybe even one with a little warranty left for any niggling issues.

BTW, check for rear corner damage, as i've noticed a lot of celica drivers weren't used to the tiny rear window (blind spot!) when reverse parking...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

I would agree with Tones statements.

(a) There was no Celica at the Sydney Motor Show last year - I think that indicates what their intention is. Anyway, the Camry is Toyota's sports car these days ;-)

(b) I had no gear/clutch problems with my 2000 ZR, but did have the problems that Tones mentioned. 6 stacker was also crap (Toyota replaced mine), but the SX only got a single CD. With those problems, Toyota are pretty good about fixing them.

(c) Depends on your preferences. I got the ZR because I wanted the safety pack (side airbags and ABS) which was additional on the SX. It worked out not much more for the ZR and got a stacker, sunroof, door sills, racing pedals, bigger wheels etc.. as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just another couple of comments I would add in relation to buying a new Celica.

(1) are you considering new or used? The resale on these things is appalling because they are not popular, so second hand is a much better deal.

(2) are you a performance enthusiast or likely to take the car to track days? If so, you will probably find the ZZT231 rather dissatisfying. If you value performance, I would consider an ST205 GT4 instead - much faster, handles better and easier/cheaper to modify. Plus they are more unique.

(3) The 1.8 VVTLi engine is EXTREMELY peaky. It makes NO power below around 4,000RPM so you feel like you are constantly ringing it's neck if you want to go quick. Having said that, the fuel economy, especially on trips, is excellent. I was able to get 700km on a tank of PULP on the highway.

(4) The ZZT231 has no LSD, so in hard cornering it is very easy to get the inside front wheel spinning especially in the wet. If you drive hard, you may find this frustrating (I certainly did!)

(5) There is a very limited amount of aftermarket parts available for the ZZT231. This will become more of an issue when they stop making them!

(6) The ZZT231 has a HUGE blind spot because of the c-pillar. You can get used to it, by learning to drive by the mirrors but it is a pain in the a$$ initially.

(7) I remembered also that there is a bit of a whining noise in the 6 speed manual gearbox. They all do it and it is not a problem, but may worry you if you are not expecting it.

(8) The ZZT231 is a real head turner (especially in black) and will attract a lot of attention. This is not necessarily positive or negative, depends on what you want.

(9) If you do buy one, make sure you spend plenty of time at newcelica.org It is a fantastic resource and full of usefull information.

I don't mean to sound negative, I owned my ZZT231 for 3 years, did 80,000km and absolutely loved it. They are a great car, but it is always good to know what you are getting into beforehand.

Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Thank you all for replying. I have been visiting this site, but not posting, and I have moved to ozcelica as well.

I have placed an order for a ZR. The dealer say it will come in 3 months. It has been a struggle, but I finally found the place that would sell at the price I want.

I do appreciate all the comments/suggestions and advice, they were all helpful in making up my mind as to what I really want.

As I said, I am not a car person, and don't expect the ZR to outrun anyone, I want something that looks good, and reliable. Plus, I have been an admirer of celica for a long time.

If you are all wondering, it will be a white, manual ZR. I may put new wheels on it, as one of the division in my company import wheels. Plus, maybe other cosmetic (but unlikely performance) changes.

Thanks again.

·
202 Posts
Welcome to the club ;) I'd say you'll find this car quite reliable in general. To me speed counts for zilch, handling is all that counts. Take it easy brother :crazy2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it's true that the Celica does come with the VVTi-L (or was it VVTL-i?)sticker on the side under the front panel indicator, You American's should be able to access the Australian Spec Electronic Parts Guide (EPC) at the dealer and get a general view and you might be able to order it in... When the sun is up tomorrow and I remember, I'll try and post pictures up.

What I noticed is that the factory Yokohama Advent Tyres don't last that long. I am due for new tyres and the car has done 30,000kms of hard/soft driving.

Look out for rust under the sunroof. I tried to take my stacker back on warranty but they said not to worry about it as it skips commonly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
zzt231r said:
Yes it's true that the Celica does come with the VVTi-L (or was it VVTL-i?)sticker on the side under the front panel indicator, You American's should be able to access the Australian Spec Electronic Parts Guide (EPC) at the dealer and get a general view and you might be able to order it in... When the sun is up tomorrow and I remember, I'll try and post pictures up.

What I noticed is that the factory Yokohama Advent Tyres don't last that long. I am due for new tyres and the car has done 30,000kms of hard/soft driving.

Look out for rust under the sunroof. I tried to take my stacker back on warranty but they said not to worry about it as it skips commonly.
I just found my Old User Account :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
GLOCK23 said:
post those pics bro
Sorry, I just got back from Overseas as I have been gone for the past month. As Soon as I get the car back from storage (On the otherside of town) in the next few days/weeks I'll post pictures up.

Y2Joe, go to http://www.photobucket.com for a site to host photos...

Cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
canton_ph34r said:
whats the difference between a ZR and SX? Is it like GT/GTS in the USA?
Sorry haven't posted for a while as I've been working to pay off an engine conversion with my '84 MA61 Celica Supra and overseas again...

With the ZR Celica, it's similar to the GTS Celica of America in 2000, just that we only got analogue/manual cabin ventilation controls and no digital (push button) controls through out the range and leather seats is not an option like the 180 T-Sport of the UK.

In Australia we got only the 2ZZGE as an engine option so either the 6 Speed Manual and the 4 Speed TipTronic Automatic thus having the VVTL-i Sticker on the front quater panel.

For hayfeaver suffers a pollen filter is not an option but if you go to Toyota Parts and specifically ask for one you can purchase one over the counter. Equipment Levels between the SX and ZR Celica haven't change too dramatically since 2000 till current. Only difference is that now rear reverse sensors and in car navigation equipment is avaliable as an option since mid to late 2001.

Equipment Levels in the Aust. Spec
SX Celica -
15" Alloy Wheels
205mm Wide Bridgestone? tyres (Memory doesn't strech that far back)
Roof mounted Antenna
6 Speaker Sound system (4 midrange and 2 tweeters)
CD Player
Leather bound steering wheel
4 wheel Disc Brakes
Stainless steel Exhaust
Blue racing insert interior
Boot mounted spoiler
Moon roof (Optional Extra)
Safety Pack inc. Moonroof, SRS Side Airbags (Optional Extra)
(Air Conditioning & Metallic Paint Optional Extra)

ZR Celica -
Same with the SX Celica but with -
16" 5 spoke Alloy Wheels
205mm wide Yokohama tyres
Red racing insert interior
Metal "Celica" Door Stills
Moon roof
SRS Side Air Bags
Metal Sports Pedels
Fog Lights
Tape Deck with 6 Stack CD Player

On the otherhand the US got 2 Levels like Australia but the models I believe were seperated by engines.
The GT Celica got the 1ZZFE with a 4 Speed Automatic (non TipTronic) and a 5 speed manual. Also the back brakes were drum and the cabin ventilation controls were manual. The GTS Celica got the 2ZZGE with the 4 speed Automatic TipTronic and a 6 speed manual transmission. Also got disc brakes all around and the cabin ventilation controls are digital (push button).

In the ZZT231 in the UK the boot mounted spoiler is optional extra and the later versions of the ZZT231 an 8" subwoofer is optional extra .

Hope that clears up everyones mind.

If I have made any mistakes please let me know and I'll be happy to make the changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I forgot to mention with the Equipment levels is that ABS is part of the Safety Package in the SX Celica whereas the ZR was fitted standard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts