NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes, I need some advice. I bought a 6yo car and want to improve the paint color. It has not been taken care of very well. It has some water marks and oxidation issues. I just ordered a PC 7424 , going on ur advice in the threats. I was going to use meguiar # 9 swirl remover and a cleaner. I was thinking #2 medium cleaner or medallion paint cleaner. Which one do u think would be better? If I use such of an abrasive cleaner do I still need to use a clay bar first?

Thanks 4 the Help!

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Icemann said:
......going on ur advice in the threats........
We never threatened you to buy one. ;)

First start off with a very thorough wash or 2. I suggest using a clay bar to remove embeded surface grime before proceeding w/ a polish/cleaner. Yes, the polish should be able to cut through and remove surface oxidation and water marks but you want to be sure the paint doesn't have minute specs of dirt on it. Otherwise you will be just rubbing them around on the paint causing more problems.

I don't have experience w/ Medallion. Use the PM function and send the link to this thread to Detailing Dude, Mr Spiffy or Piece of Work. They are all pro detailers and should have some good input on bringing your car back to life. Don't just rephrase your original question to them, we'd like to see their responses in public.

Remember to use the least aggressive product that will get the job done. Don't jump to far up the "cutting scale" to start off, you never know what the paint can take.

What car and what year? This may be beneficial in their suggestions.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
laz_10 said:
hey, with the clay bar it has to be used with that detailing spray. so with the left over gunk stuff, do u wipe it off with a clean rag or wash it off?
With the left over quick detailer you just wipe it up with a clean rag. If it gets a little to dry just add a little more QD to the spot and it will buff right out.

If you are doing a full clay-polish-wax detail, some people wash the whole car after the clay process, some just move on to polish.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Icemann said:
Hey dudes, I need some advice. I bought a 6yo car and want to improve the paint color. It has not been taken care of very well. It has some water marks and oxidation issues. I just ordered a PC 7424 , going on ur advice in the threats. I was going to use meguiar # 9 swirl remover and a cleaner. I was thinking #2 medium cleaner or medallion paint cleaner. Which one do u think would be better? If I use such of an abrasive cleaner do I still need to use a clay bar first?

Thanks 4 the Help!
bme107 - :thumbup:

Icemann - The situation is that you are facing a somewhat neglected finish. What bme said is a good start but you are DEFINITELY going to need a Light to medium cut cleaner to get rid of the oxidation and then follow up with #9 to kill the swirls. those steps should follow the clay

Meguiar's does make cleaners like that for their professional line. Since you have a PC 7424, you might need to use a cutting pad and the cleaner to see if the oxidation comes up that way or you are going to have to find someone that knows how to use a rotary buffer and apply the cleaner to that finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts