NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just thought I would post a quick message. I recently bought a 2002 Celica GT and am quite interested in doing some after market upgrades to it. I have been hearing stories/recommendations from everybody and his brother on what I should do with it and just wanted to clarify some things.

Performance wise: What is the best bang for the buck in terms of adding some decent extra power to the stock engine.

I have read here that the TRD exhaust is a great upgrade (how reliable is that "14 HP" gain).
I have been recommended to get new Iridium plugs and race wires for it.
Other recommendations were cold air intakes and obviously a K&N.

Just thought I would ask and see what you guys/girls thought about what would be the best stuff to upgrade if I'm looking strickly for performance benefits...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, the TRD exhaust only claims to have 14 hp, but that isn't a realistic gain...gains from exhaust on a celica gt are minimal.
I'd suggest that you get a Cold Air Intake as your first mod for performance (power)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the responce. Like I said I have heard everything from "get a new exhaust it will be a huge difference" to like you said "minimal".

I guess my main question is what kinda mods should I go for to boost the power of the GT?

·
Registered
177 Posts
You should go intake first, then exhaust. A muffler isn't the omnly thing that is considered as exhaust. There is the header (very good for gains), muffler which has minimal gains, High flow cat with custom mid pipe, downpipe (stay with the stock one). But to get the best performance, all of this needs to be done because it all links together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks for the help. A couple other questions about the intake. What is the preferred brand? Does adding an intake generally affect my warranty?

Thanks Again

·
Registered
184 Posts
people generally go with AEM or Injen CAI, the i believe on the GTS AEM provides more low end torque and Injen provides more top end power...i would imagine it'd be similiar for the gt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Man

Being obviously relatively new to Celica's in general just trying to gather up info. I know plenty about them, just not in depth...

As for the intake, what kind of gains are we talking about. Am I going to notice once its in?

Adding New Plugs, wires, K&N will II be noticing better starts, etc.

Sorry for the kinda stupid questions, just trying to get a feel as to what each upgrade is going to do in "real" driving scenerios.

I guess I should probably get some pictures taken to, too post I mean...

Thanks Again

·
Registered
884 Posts
don't replace your plugs, the celica comes with the best ones on the market... that mistake cost me 70 bucks...

if you get an intake, you won't need a K&N, I think the AEM comes with a K&N? I'm getting an injen shortram because I don't want to risk hydrolocking...

Exhausts are not as good as intakes, but they make driving a lot of fun... personally I have the TSRM

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are no wires, so you can't upgrade them. It is possible to upgrade to the racing version of our spark plugs, but you won't see a gain. Here's the order I'd do things in, if I were to start all over again.

1. Hotshot header
2. Cold air intake(Injen or AEM)
3. TRD exhaust(doesn't really do anything)
4. Greddy e-manage(to mess with spark timing and closed loop operations)

After all this, you will be lucky to get 15hp at the wheels. The celica engines just don't respond to mods well. Check the dyno section for proof. If you reall want hp, wait for the WC turbo to be released.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts