NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my car back from Myers Auto about three weeks ago and as i was detailing it yesterday, i noticed that the rear bumper + valence felt a lot rougher than the rest of the car (almost like interior paint on a wall) even after i waxed it the surface still felt very rough like cardboard. did the shop forget to put a clear coat on it? is this normal for something that got repainted? the paint matches the rest of the car perfectly, but the surface feels a lot different.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Maybe they got a little overspray on it? I dunno, try claybarring it. Wait maybe not, the paint might not be fully cured yet. Wait like a week, then try claybarring it. If that don't work, I would imagine polishig/buffing it would work.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well now i'm really worried.... the paint care sheet said not to wash the car w/ commercial wash for a month, and it's been about 3 weeks so i figured it'd be ok.... (i had already washed it once with just water, like the sheet said to do for the first month) and i had noticed the roughness back then too, but now that i look at the bumper this morning in the garage, i noticed a TON of smear marks or something... almost like they painted it on there with a brush... i can't tell what is wrong with it.... i put some quik detailer on there since i just waxed it friday.... and it did absolutely NOTHING. i rolled it outside and you can't even notice it in the light, it looks perfectly fine. only in the garage can you see it.. detailing dude or bme where are you guys?! :( maybe this weekend i should put paint cleaner on it and then claybar? i have no idea what to do and i'm extremely worried :(

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just call the place up that did the job for you and ask them about it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I do know your not supposed to wax it for 30 days but I was told you are allowed to wash it.

4CYL I just got back my bodykit too from the shop and there is a few "smear/smudge" marks on mine as well, only in spots on the sides/front/rear. I haven't tried to get them off yet because the paint is only 3 days old, but I'm thinking it was when I drove it home I had it in cardboard, and since the paint was still soft it smeared some of the paint on the kit, I was not pleased.

I'm also wondering what I do to get rid of this. Its a fresh paint job so there is no way I can clay/wax it yet, but what about when I can what should I do?

Mine might not be as bad as yours 4CYL, but I will tell you that even in those spots that are smeared and smudged on mine, they are smooth, so maybe they forgot a clearcoat on your paint because mine is very glossy just smeared.

Anyone with help on this, I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
4CyLSiLvACeLi said:
....... detailing dude or bme where are you guys?! :( ........
I'm only "on" during the business day.

What did you have done at the shop? Body kit? Which pieces were painted?

It sounds like they did a good job color matching/blending, but not finishing/blending it. Don't freak out just yet. Call them up or stop by and ask what they did. If it might be over spray from a bad masking job, that can be fixed. If they didn't apply the clear evenly it will be harder to near impossible for an novice to get a smooth finish, and might be worth having the area re-cleared if their process is suspect.

The general consensus, among detailing pros, is to wait 4 weeks after painting to do any surface detailing. Before that time it is allowable to do a light hand washing. Do not scrub!

Start off calling them for answers. Then give it a wash and try a clay bar. I've had success removing overspray with a clay bar on many occasions. Bad finishing is another story. A pro with a rotary polisher or wetsanding experience may be able to get it evened out at a lower price than a new re-spray. (unless that shop has some sort of satisfaction guarantee)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yeah if I had to guess man I would say you are probably feeling overspray or some of the new body shops use theis crap calledgreen something oh its greenslime, I know sounds gay but it is for real, bvasically they spray this crap over surfaces that they DO NOT want painted and it protects these places from the paint while in the paint booth, it can be sprayed to protect any hard surface like windows, body panels and so on!!!!! I am almost 100% positive thats what it is, in which case I have seen it used many of times cause it makes the body shops job much easier, less stuff to tape up and so on!! If that is what it is then don't worry about it, it will come off when you wash your ar down with a mitt and some real nice soapy water!!! Hey man I will be near trussville this weekend if u want me to take a look at it!! Later!

Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts