NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Car hit 100k a while ago, and now I notice the clutch is definitely slipping (floor it in sixth gear, RPM's shoot up). I did a quick search and came up with the 'fidanza flywheel' and 'southbend clutch' combo. Could anybody shed some more light on this? Why would I need a new flywheel in addition to a new clutch?

I also did some searching on the southbend website... their site is not very user-friendly. So does anybody have any recommendations for a cost-effective solution for my daily driven, rarely raced car?

What difference will I feel (if any) if I used a upgraded flywheel or clutch compared to my current OEM one?

I don't think I've ever replaced the clutch, and the previous owner probably just went with a Toyota OEM part if at all. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had my clutch replaced recently (with OEM) and asked about my flywheel and the shop said it was fine.

I've read where a flywheel can need resurfacing when replacing the clutch, so I guess (with my limited understanding) it is like a brake rotor in a sense- two surfaces making rotational contact and you can have uneven wear.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Yup, it's exactly the same as a brake rotor. Not just with the uneven wear, either. When you resurface the flywheel, it removes the material transferred from the old clutch. This allows the new clutch to transfer its own material and grip better than without resurfacing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see, okay thanks.

So I probably won't need a new 'fidanza flywheel' right? That's purely for performance? I just ask the shop to resurface the flywheel?

What about Southbend in terms of a new clutch?

·
Registered
228 Posts
i changed my clutch like a month ago,
They still have the resurfacing machine??? amazing...!

the new flywheel isnt that expansive... i am telling you i found one like around 100 dollars

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Yeah a clutch is cheap but the labor is what gets you.

It seems like you want an after market clutch. I would search to see what is the best..

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
You go with the Fidanza/Southbend setup and driving will become a chore. Stick with OEM for your daily driver, keep the performance clutches to your track cars.

·
BlackSea edition.
1,237 Posts
Fidanza is lighter than the oem flywheel. It allows the engine to spin faster/easier and supposedly frees a couple of ponies on the wheel. It makes the top speed lower too. Just a bit. If you don't want any of these, go oem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts