NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've been spending a lot of time learning about nitrous and have only one question left:

How come NOS and other companies state the following in their catalogs:

Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles in the United States.

note: this disclaimer is only at Sport Compact systems especially 4 Cylinder systems.

and if it's illegal why do they have a kit and offer it???

what makes a stinky dodge with nitrous cleaner then a clean celica????

Am I misenterpreting this statement????

I'm eager to get a nitrous system but 1 don't want to break the law and 2 don't contribute to poluting the environment more than I have to...

Please help me understand

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you use the nitrous on the street you're going to be breaking the law. I don't believe any states will let you use it on the street. I don't know what the pollution has to do with it though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, but the disclaimer says it's NOT legal to sell and that's only on 4 cylinder systems the other ones don't have the disclaimer actually several are even CARB exempt.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually a friend of mine just mentioned that Pollution Controlled Vehicles may mean cars like Hybrids...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends on the laws of your state...

best thing to do is to call up the DMV and say " hello sir, i have a show car.... nitrous bottles are big in the show car scene i am considering getting one ... " .... "what happens if i get pulled over with a bottle in the car" (suggest that you are just driving normally) and see what they say...

I know someone that did this in MO and the cop said "there's no way we can tell that you have nitrous on your car unless you are caught racing or speeding ...and even then you could just be speeding...so how would we know'

he makes it seem like you are fine to use nitrous AS MUCH AS YOU WANT as long as you are not speeding or racing ...just like a turbo, supercharger or cams he said ....

make sense to me

3 guys with nitrous bottles at a 'hang out scene' had their cars towed 3 weeks ago... well they were parked ...not racing or speeding ... and they got their cars towed..the sherif is getting sued and the department has offered to return the vehicles and the bottles ( that were not even hooked up to the main lines) but the owners refused and would rather go to court ...

So there you have it ... if you have the bottle installed and the line hooked up and the switch armed ...but you are cruising at the speed limit going to the track , to legally race on the track ...how is a cop ever going to know that you have nitrous ? ; )

There's alot i'm not going to talk about in this post... but you get the gist of it ...

Nuke (ps ...i believe in going to the track)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.