NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the story:
i dynoed my car 3 days ago and it only made 174whp with the 60 hp (used to make 210) the only difference was colder spark plugs . then i tried the 75 hp and it only made 178 whp. so we used a wide band o2 sensor to to see if the car was running rich. the car was running way to rich to make any power.
the questions:
can the colder spark plugs make my lose 35whp?
for my 60 shot i'm using 20 NOS 20 fuel and for my 75 i'm using 22/22. does anyone know which jets should i use for the fuel to go leaner?
BTW
the car dynoed 123 whp off the bottle and it used to dyno 137.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think you want hotter plugs because of the car comp. 11.5:1 needs hot plugs. I would run even hotter with NO2 because the N cools the comp chamber during compression.

-z-

zooq said:
here is the story:
i dynoed my car 3 days ago and it only made 174whp with the 60 hp (used to make 210) the only difference was colder spark plugs . then i tried the 75 hp and it only made 178 whp. so we used a wide band o2 sensor to to see if the car was running rich. the car was running way to rich to make any power.
the questions:
can the colder spark plugs make my lose 35whp?
for my 60 shot i'm using 20 NOS 20 fuel and for my 75 i'm using 22/22. does anyone know which jets should i use for the fuel to go leaner?
BTW

·
Registered
683 Posts
By colder I assume you mean plugs that can dissipate the heat better and therefore don't get as hot. This should not be an issue.

I am surprised that you are running equal sized jets though. I have an inline fuel regulator to hold the fuel pressure at around 8 psi. This means that I can use matched jets if needed. However, in testing it was found that the car runs lean at WOT anyway so balancing the jets was not good. I found that the fuel jet needs to be about a third the size of the nitrous jet to get real gains.

The other thing to check with the plugs is that you are running with a narrower than standard gap on the electrodes. Not sure about the technical reasons behind this but I do know that this is important.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
zooq said:
This statement makes me think that something in the engine is damaged. Might be the piston rings, valves, who knows? :sick. I think a compression test is in order. I hope you can figure it out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The jets shouldn't be the same i think when we got the ones for larry the were like 17 and 32. Like what is being said keep the cold plugins in the i might have a plug at home still of what happens if you don't use the cold plugs. It looks like it just blew up.
PS you could call NOS or NX and findout what jets your supposed to be using for what shot. Word of advice call both if they give you the same answer good if not be worried.

G

·
well the answer is gonna be different from nx to nos becuase the jets are different.. but Im not sure how much though.. i have to talk to John with Nx and find out what you are supposed to use for that.. I know for a 50 shot from NOS its supposed to be 37 nitrous 22 fuel..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vvtlikick
the 17 hp lost should be from the colder plugs. i felt that the car was slower since i put them in.
larry
i'm using a direct port so i can't use 37/22

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was the car at normal temperature? I know that nitrous does require a certain level of heat (I think it's in the area of 500 degrees fahrenheit) so the oxygen can seperate from the nitrogen and burn with the fuel. Perhaps the engine wasn't hot enough? I am afraid that if you were running equal size jets that perhaps you were running lean. I'm pretty sure the fuel jet must be larger than the nitrous jet. I'm pretty sure I'm running 20 nitrous and 35 fuel (NX)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Why did you go to the colder plugs at all?

You say the car felt slower when you added them, well take them off! put the old ones back.

The only reason to change the plug heat range is if you are seeign poor plug performance under the conditions you use the car.
Did you ever pull the plugs, clean them, hit the road, do a good nitrous run, then shut the car down, coast to a stop (engine off), pull the plugs and examine them again?

Did they look good, did you need to mess with them?

Have you examined the new colder plugs? Are they carbon fouled? If they are still nice and clean, it isn't like to be the plug (but I'd still switch back). If they are all black and nasty, then you probably wene too cold and they cant heat up enough to burn off the deposits.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.