NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could hear the rear left wheel turning and making this whirling noise. Is it because my wheel bearing is worn out. Thats what my cousin's boyfriend told me. Could it be anything else? Please help.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This should probably be in the repairs/maintenance section. I would say check your brakes first.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It may be a bad wheel bearing but you may have a "chop" in your tire. Best way to describe it is when the tread starts to look like the teeth on a circular saw...so what is happening is that the tire is touching the ground and then leaving the ground for an instant which makes the "whiring" noise you described. This could be from bad camber or the toe being off or a combination of both. Does the sound go away or change at certain speeds?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
So when you speed up, does it go away or is it a constant?

*note* -

I felt I had to be in on the same question too.....it's a running theme in this thread. :chuckles:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
IT might be your bearings. I had a defective bearing and had it covered under warranty. I only had about 20k miles at the time.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i have the same thing happening, mine sounds like a grinding...my brake pads are shot and I am grinding into the rotor, hehe, check your brake pads ;)

TIM

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, when I speed up it is even louder. when driving on the highway, when I am inside my car , it is bad and I have to turn the stereo all the way up to ignore the sound.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wouldnt the brakes make a screeching noise and if it were the lug nuts, wouldnt the wheel wabble?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
real real bad brakes can make a buzzing noise.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its more of a whizzing noise, like you hear the wheel turn.i have had my rims for some time now and just started making that noise recently. my cousin's boyfriend is persistant that it is the wheel bearing. how much do the wheel bearings cost in general?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have the same problem and its not the brakes because I just upgraded my brakes, and its not the bearing because I got that swapped out. Toyota thinks its my tire, I'm gonna get that checked out after my car is out of the shop. You guys think its the tire? The noise gets louder as I speed up and levels out at a certain speed. But it goes away if i slow down. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am starting to think it could be the tire since thats what I hear all the time. May be might need some air or something. could be that. Since I hear that rear left wheel turn and its making a noise where it hits the air and you hear that noise.

·
Registered
246 Posts
R0ME02984 said:
I have the same problem and its not the brakes because I just upgraded my brakes, and its not the bearing because I got that swapped out. Toyota thinks its my tire, I'm gonna get that checked out after my car is out of the shop. You guys think its the tire? The noise gets louder as I speed up and levels out at a certain speed. But it goes away if i slow down. Any thoughts?
Like I said earlier in this thread both of you guys most likely have a "chop" in your tire. Its common when you either dont align or rotate the tires enough. Also if you have directional tires you can only rotate them front to back without taking the tire off of the rim to move it to the other side of the car...so the tire gets in a constant wear pattern which once it starts is almost impossible to change. You can either live with the noise or you can try to get that tire to the other side of the car as long as you keep the tire moving in the correct direction. Finally you can obviously get new tires...buy 2 at a time (2 fronts or 2 rears)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts