NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what could be the cause of a chirping noise or squeek kind of noise whenever I go from 1st to 2nd gear. I only hear it when I go slow, but it is certainly there all the time. Anyone have an idea what this could be??

·
Registered
791 Posts
probably your shift linkage. You should lubricate it with lithium grease (in moderation). Search for "shift linkage" or "lube shift" or another variation.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GREAT, thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you car is still under warranty take it to the dealer. I had the same problem and they fixed it. They had to reaplace my whole shift boot and then oiled my linkages with some kind of oil that doesnt dry out.

·
Registered
791 Posts
There is different linkage for newer models and if you're having troubles shifting into the right gear, the newer linkage (if you own a 2000) spaces the gears out farther. If you search you can find out more (can't remember details right now). But I've have a 2000 w/ no probs with the shift gates/spacing :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I greased those joints today, and it still made that whistling sound. It shifts better but the sound is still there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have a friend shift through all the gears while you listen (engine off) with your head under the hood. Double check that you got all the moving points of the linkage. If it's in the car it could be the shifter inside, but that's not a common problem...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took your advise and I believe I got the problem, but I will give it a day to see if it comes back. I appreciate the great idea.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greased it all up and no chirping sound, plus it shifts somewhat better. Thanks again for the great information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts