NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What type of noise is it? If you actually think it is the timing chain itself, then it is worth removing the cover and inspecting the chain tensioner which is on the rear side of the head - it's easily visibily and you'll know what it is when you see it. As for the VVT assembly not working i'm pretty sure you would know from a CEL. The OCV that controls the VVT actuator has quite a few codes associated with it. Don't rule it out though.

As for the oil consumption problem, they probably honed the cylinder walls which is something you're not supposed to do for a 2zz motor because of the liner that is on the cylinder walls. Call the shop that built the engine and see if they honed it (be slick about it and ask them if they honed it rather than saying 'you're not suppoesd to hone it, did you?'). If they did, you're going to be drinking oil forever.

Did you have an oil consumption problem before this rebuild?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You are not supposed to bore the cylinder walls at all - if they are scored you need to resleeve them, you can't repair them. So yes, your car is going to be sucking down the oil pretty enthusiastically :/ .

I'm not sure what the ticking noise is... maybe one of your lifters/rocker arms could be damaged? someone with more knowledge needs to give you some input

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That's a neat website/magazine, thanks for the links.

i would imagine that you just need to remove the valve cover - it is possible to change cam shafts without removing the timing chain cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.