NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BlackSea edition.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first of all, i post this in the performance mod's section, sorry if this is a re-post but i couldn't find anything like this using the search of the forums, and since i think it belongs here due to the fact that this is actually a weight reduction. Here's what i've found/read, and what i want your opinions on:

I don't really know how much the stock lug nut weights. I looked trough the weight reduction thread, but nobody has weighted one. Hope someone can chime in with some numbers?

The lightest i've found to be Volks (correct me if i'm wrong) at 21 grams for piece. IMO If the stock lug nut weights around 40-50 grams this is a gross of 20-30 grams PER NUT weight, unsprung, rotational mass. Which is not bad at all. 20-30 grams per nut makes for 400-600 grams total weight reduction. An average of 500 grams (0.5 kilograms) which is GREAT weight reduction update in terms of it being unsprung and rotational mass. I remember somewhere here the discussion that the rotational mass equals MASS*8=X in which x is the equivalent of weight reduction from the dead mass (i.e. seats, sound deadening material and such). Even if this formula is accurate (which I believe it's not) this means (at certain speeds) around 4 kilograms or 8-9 pounds, which is great.

I believe this is not accurate since you can't actually tell to how much it actually equals since the rotational masses are different at different speeds/rpms. Dummy said, the faster it spins, the heavier it gets. Which means at speeds like 60-100-xxx mph, it will be great weight reduction mod. My questions are the following:

How much does the nut actually weight (OEM one), from which it follows my next question: will this be a worth-it 100$ bill or not, and how SAFE are those lightweight lug nuts actually? I read across the internet that many people avoid them, since they, as they say are "prone" to loosen up and cause you to crash, burn and die.

Thanks in advance guys (and gals :))!

Little keywords for search button, so the next one will be able to find it easily: lug, lugnuts, lightweight, weight reduction, nuts, wheels, unsprung weight, unsprung mass.

·
The Seventh Letter
5,130 Posts
By Volks you mean Rays correct? Cause the Volks Formulas are a bit heavy IMO. Rays extended lugs are the lightest lugs I've ever purchased. Really light and durable in my opinion. Won't strip easily if proper use and will not loose bite. Worth every penny even though I only paid 120 for them.

I then upgraded to R-40's and you can feel a slight weight difference between them, the R-40's being a bit heavier but more durable and drooling looks. Though those have slightly stripped, about 2 so far, I got them re-threaded and there good as new!

If your aiming for a big weight reduction, lug nuts ain't much of help. Your better off loosing weight to start. Those were my .02 cents :)

And oh yeah, if you get the Rays, there's replicas out there btw so beware.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
I'd be very surprised if the butt-dyno could pick anything up from the difference in weight brought by lighter nuts. I know mine couldn't. Besides, I'm more inclined to believe that you'll notice more of an actual difference if the weight lost was on the furthest part of the rim, or ideally the tire. TBH you'd certainly feel a better accelerative gain with lighter tires, than lighter nuts, which essentially sit on the face of the wheel hub.

Are they worth it?
For show: Yes.
For performance: Only if you've done everything else and you're running out of places to lose weight from.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Save the money and buy better ________. Also think about it in the send of the spinning on the stool physics experiment, work on the mass on the outer side of the rim first, then the rim, then the lugs.

That should be the last thing to buy, unless you are going for looks. You can pick up cheap ebay steel lugs for aftermarket rims. Then if you loose one you will not feel as bad.

D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
...I looked trough the weight reduction thread, but nobody has weighted one...Hope someone can chime in with some numbers?
I posted in there.

Lug Nuts (All 20) ************2 lbs 15.7oz **deltaB
That was for the stock ones.

Lug nuts:
Rays lightweight (all 20)* *** * ** *****1 lbs **Speed4Theneed
Mutegi closed end (All 20) ********* 1lb 7.3oz **deltaB
Since then I got some from 949 Racing http://949racing.com/lug-nuts-silver-12x15.aspx, 24 grams each.

dB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts