NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tarheel Sports Car Club had their second points event this weekend. The weather was nice (70's) and we managed to get 150 drivers through 4 runs each (and about 80-100 fun runs) and not a single person DNF'd all 4 runs (a first?).

The Celica's were well represented with my wife (Sally) and I playing in DS, B1mmer in STS, pitcrew and driver in GS.

The site this weekend is an old airport, it has a narrow taxiway, and a slightly wider runway.

Here's the course:
http://www.thscc.com/autocross/events/coursemaps/2003-0427map.pdf

Don't worry, it isn't as tight as it looks on the map.

Results:
http://www.thscc.com/autocross/events/index.html

While the course wasn't hard to follow, to be fast you really had to keep a good line and maintain momentum, something not easy to do on gritty asphalt (running on ball bearings).

As a "theme" for this event, we had a radar gun set up at worker station 5 (on the map), we clocked people on the way through the crossover up to the 3 cone gate (right at the worker station). An award was given for the top speed (63 mph, SM2 Porsche 911). Both B1mmer and I managed about 56 mph, but we were slowed somewhat by the revlimiter in 2nd (no point in shifting). I saw pitcrew and driver were a little slower, but that may be the revlimit for them in 2nd as well (I heard them popping the limiter at other places on the course).

My first run was OK to start, it was clean. I did the left then right hand sweepers (it was a sweeper) from the taxiway onto the runway just as I had planned it in the course walk. A little lift for the >90 degree right hander into the offsets. The lift rotated the car perfectly. The rest of the course was OK, but I got behind at the big offset before the drag-strip finish, and that killed my finish speed (5 or 10 mph slower than it should have been).

My second run was much better over 90% of the course, however the the right hand sweeper that I did so well in run 1, I managed to go in a little hot in run 2. The result was a BIG slide with lots of countersteer and lots of throttle to save it. I heard several cheers from the course workers. At the finish line it was about the same as my first run, 42.9 with no improvement.

Sally ran a clean 43.6 on her first run (the closest she has been to my times in a while), and bettered it with a 43.0 on her second, but coned the 2nd run.

We worked during the 3rd heat while the rest of the DS folks ran their last 2 runs (sneaky, eh?). One of the WRX drivers pretty well closed the door on me during those runs, but the other two WRX drivers didn't improve at all, or improve enough...

At this point, I was really running for second, I needed to shave 0.3 seconds to get it, a very doable number. My 3rd run was just the ticket, I didn't make any big mistakes, actually braking too early for the turn around and making it much tighter than I should have (but I stayed out of the marbles...) I did well on the rest of the coures, using the limiter at several spots, and smoking a fair portion of the inside edges of the tires. I crossed the line with a 41.94, good for 2nd place (or so I thought).

Sally ran a clean 43.0 on her 3rd run, good for 4th place, but wanted to go faster. She has traditionally run well at this site, beating me the previous 2 events. She was a bit frusturated about being a little over a second back, and it iddn't help when I told her all the places she should go faster (all places she knew she should be going faster). So, for her 4th run, evdently something clicked and she finally went for it, trusting the car a lot more than in recent events. She ran a very agressive, and fast run, carrying a lot more speed into the final slalom than before. The speed was almost her undoing, she started to get behind, but rather than give up, or lift and spin, she stuck with it (I twas a fast slalom, 55+ mph, 25+ paces) and just made it through. She tripped the lights with a 41.96, 0.024 seconds behind me. We had to wait for final results to find out who actually was faster, both of us rooting agains the other.... Anyhow, in spite of being 3rd, Sally was still pretty happy, and I was glad she drove that well!

I finished 12th PAX and Sally 13th (everyone in DS is running on street tires for what it's worth). The first place WRX finished 7th. B1mmer got 2nd in STS and 5th index (B1mmer is running stock shocks and stock springs, simply putting spring rubbers in the rear), driver finished first in GS and 9th PAX, while pitcrew was 3rd in class and 18th overall.

Anyhow, out of 150 drivers, the top 20 was 25% 7th gen Celicas. Not too bad.

Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice write-up Scott. I was wondering where all the NC folks were this weekend. Great job to all the top finishers!

We had an event at Cloverleaf Mall in Richmond. A little over 100 people and a few national caliber drivers. Only one new Celica (Silver2001GTS) ran as Keath (Nullsurfer) did not have a chance to get his ready in time. He ran a 200SX SER in STS. I ended up 1st in class and 6th in PAX. Results are now posted.

Class Results

PAX

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The course was a good one even with the 1st gear turnaround which I never like. It flowed well and wasn't gimmicky (except for the 1st gear turnaround, but the runway is too narrow for anything else if you want to use that portion). The morning runs were very gritty on our cycled out and reversed Hoosiers, so we did a lot of dirt tracking thru the turns, not the quick way around. By our afternoon runs the course had cleaned up pretty well and the grid wasn't so much a gravel pit so we finally got some bite. I was in 2nd, 0.14 out of first after my 4 runs, with everyone in GS but Driver having finished all their runs. Driver worked S&T 3rd run group and ran her last two runs with the fourth group. She had blown her first two runs badly, missing the downshift on the first, and stopping for her own downed cone on the second, so she sat in 7th, DFL after two. She listened to what I had learned and trusted the grip on her 3rd run, but got a little sideways in the offsets after the
turn around. She figured she had blown the run, and let off before the finish lites, but the run was still fast enough to move her into 4th. She concentrated and put it all together on her last run to improve >1.5 sec and jump into 1st. She was more pleased with the top 10 PAX tho than winning the class. She would have finished 5th/9 in the always tough pro class.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sally and I just left it in 2nd for the turn around, I'm still not sold on downshifitng unless absolutely necessary. I only really wished for the downshift during fun runs when I took a fairly heavy passenger.

Anyhow, some pictures are here, that's me in the Celica. I might have even turned in early enough...

http://kevinmallen.home.att.net/sanford_042703.htm

Scott

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
With 150 competitors I didn't think we'd have any fun runs, so we had already changed tires and packed everything up by the time they announced them. I would have liked to have tried the turnaround entering on the left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts