NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Sojack_GTS
5 Posts
I'm planning on buying a motor stand some time this weekend and my friend has a cherry picker i can use to pull the motor so hopefully i'll be able to get into it soon and get a better idea of what's going on under there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have question with the vvt sproket. I have a tick/click which seems to be isolated to that area during idle. The noise disappears when the engine is reved. I have a 2000GTS and the motor is from a 2003 Vibe GT. I know there are several revisions of this sproket. Which one would it have? Also when I swapped the motor out I had cleaned both ocv screens. My main concern is: Does the noise mean failure will happen? How Long? And if it fails what will it do to the engine?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
The thing is we don't know how long it will go till failure happens. I drove mine for 2 years with the noise. Then I replaced it with the final update in 2008. It worked fine for the last 4 years but started to make some faint noise at startup (not nearly as bad as the old gear) so I just decided to replace it this year when I got new cams.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah I guess the real question for me is what does failure mean for the motor? And to replace it do you need to remove the whole timing cover or just the valve cover? Thanks

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
The thing is we don't know how long it will go till failure happens. I drove mine for 2 years with the noise.
I'm on 10yrs/176k miles. Oddly, my startup noise has calmed down significantly. I'm beginning to wonder what kind of noise the chain tensioner might make when it is a little slack on startup. Maybe you know, Gio?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
From an experience I had two days after buying the Celica, I'd say a chain tensioner with slack would cause a tapping noise that's more plasticky, like extremely noisy injectors. The tensioner applies pressure on a rubberized pad behind the chain guide if I recall correctly. The guide itself is some sort of polymer inserted into an aluminum bracket so any slapping noise will tend to be absorbed by those materials.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From an experience I had two days after buying the Celica, I'd say a chain tensioner with slack would cause a tapping noise that's more plasticky, like extremely noisy injectors. The tensioner applies pressure on a rubberized pad behind the chain guide if I recall correctly. The guide itself is some sort of polymer inserted into an aluminum bracket so any slapping noise will tend to be absorbed by those materials.
My problem...
2003 Celica, 144.000Km, 8600Rpm rev limit.

http://youtu.be/UyV-lPxcwEM

Vvt camgear OR Chain tensioner rubber pad ? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
So after not experiencing lift in a few tries I tried to solve the problem starting from the most basic things. Replaced lift bolts and ocv filters and checked for continuity through the circuits.

So the next step I did was to check the the OCV itself. I applied voltage manually with some test cables and attached them to the battery. Both the VVTI and VVTL OCVs make the sound when I apply voltage. Then I turned on the engine, warmed it up, and did the same thing. When I applied voltage to the VVTI OCV the engine stalled. The interesting part is that when I applied voltage to the VVTL OCV the engine continued running as if nothing happened. No rough idle, no stalling... nothing. And I can still hear the VVTL OCV making the tapping sound similar to the VVTI, but apparently it's not stalling as the repair manual says it should which is weird considering it seems to be responding.

I suppose there's no hydraulic pressure being applied and just hearing the OCV make a tapping sound does not necessarily mean it's working? I should go and buy an OCV I assume? Just want to make sure because I spend money on that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As part of regular maintenance clean these components every 30K or so, both OCV housing and strainer. There have been countless cases of people with lift not working because the strainer was clogged enough to hinder flow of oil to the rocker shafts.
This was the case with my GTS. Lift bolt is broken but replacing the OCV Filter allowed me to hit Lift and P1693 is gone.

·
Chris
2000 Celica GTS, 1998 4Runner, 2008 Infiniti FX35
184 Posts
Hey guys...... :wave: so I have read sooo many threads on these boards with no solution to why my lift is not working. :mad:

I feel I have tried everything that I have read and lift still refuses to work. I think I may have felt it a couple of time here and there, so at the least, lift is intermittent. My engine runs just fine otherwise!

Here is a list of the stuff I have tried so far.....

Replaced lift bolts. They were NOT broken, and they didn't even have that much wear on them anyway.

Tested both the VVT OCV and Lift OCV, they both actuate very well.

Cleaned both OCV screens, they were not plugged up, they were already clear and clean. I also cleaned out the whole lift OCV housing.

I have also jumped the lift OCV while the engine was running at normal operating temperature and I got a little hesitation from engine the first time, but did it three more times with no change to the idle once so ever!

I do not have a CEL and yes the check engine light does work. It comes on as soon as I remove the plug from the lift OCV to jump it.

Unfortunately I don't know the history of this engine, I just bought the car recently, it has 170,000 miles, but runs great other then lift!! When I had the valve cover off I was pretty surprised to find a very clean head with absolutely so sludge at all or excessive wear. I mainly bought the car because of how ecstatically clean it is for its age,(2000) it is stock, (very little racing, if any at all) and It only had 2 owners before me. To make an already long story a little shorter, It appears to be well maintained on a basic level. But I did notice there was some RTV or some sort of gasket sealer on the valve cover.... I don't know if someone was trying to fix a gasket leak or mess with the valves and rockers!

To me I feel I have narrowed it down to a mechanical or hydraulic issue.

BTW, this is my second Celica GTS, I bought a TRD 03 brand new a while back, so I do know what lift sounds and feels like..... It ain't workin! :roflno:

Any pointers to what might be my problem would very helpful!! Thanks guys for reading the longest post in the world!!! :blah:

Code:

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
I have also jumped the lift OCV while the engine was running at normal operating temperature and I got a little hesitation from engine the first time, but did it three more times with no change to the idle once so ever!
^^ Should see a change EVERY time its engaged. So, I'd guess that there is an OCV, oil pressure, or mis-aligned cam shafts issue.

·
Chris
184 Posts
Thank you Celicasaur and 2way.....

So here is a little update. Since I wasn't getting anywhere with lift, I decided to remove and clean the intake manifold and throttle body, along with the MAF sensor and the IAC valve for shit and grins. Since I was already at it, I went through the VVT and Lift system one more time to look for any blockage for oil and found nothing! Everything was really clean and clear!

I reassembled everything and took it for a test drive, and lift is BACK and back for good I think! :bacon: Every time I rev the engine above 6,000 rpm lift does engage. :applaud: But I'm not in the clear yet! (BTW, I dont know what I did to fix it!)

Lift seems to be engaging closer to 6,500 rpm. On my 03 gts, the lift would kick on at 6,250. I have read some threads here that say the 2000's supposedly lift at 6,000.... is this true?? I can hear the audible tone change as expected (around 6,500) but the car doesn't start pulling till about 7,000 rpm and in some cases closer to 7,500 rpm! I remember feeling the pull right after I would hear the tone change! I also noticed that it was shuttering or jerking a little before lift..... Any ideas??..... Oil pressure?? Coils?? MAF sensor?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

·
Chris
184 Posts
if you have the stock intake, you wont really hear it
Not stock, I have a AEM CAI installed. I can hear lift perfectly fine, it just doesn't make power till 7,000!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2

241 - 260 of 263 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.