NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 263 of 263 Posts

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Could be maf related.

I had an issue one time where I could hear it engage but didn't feel any power increase, except for running really rich.

Eventually I discovered that my air filter wasn't really attached to the cai piping and once re-attached, it worked as normal. In that instance, I'm guessing that the wayward airflow past the maf was causing me the problems you are having and maybe using different parts of the vvt and ign map...who knows. I could hear lift, but not feel it.

That might not help on your car, but just throwing it out there. The fact that you can hear it means that the system is working. It's probably something really simple/silly causing the problem.

·
Chris
2000 Celica GTS, 1998 4Runner, 2008 Infiniti FX35
184 Posts
Could be maf related.

I had an issue one time where I could hear it engage but didn't feel any power increase, except for running really rich.

Eventually I discovered that my air filter wasn't really attached to the cai piping and once re-attached, it worked as normal. In that instance, I'm guessing that the wayward airflow past the maf was causing me the problems you are having and maybe using different parts of the vvt and ign map...who knows. I could hear lift, but not feel it.

That might not help on your car, but just throwing it out there. The fact that you can hear it means that the system is working. It's probably something really simple/silly causing the problem.
Thanks for the reply! The engine has 170,000 miles on it, with a OEM MAFS.... The MAFS should be replaced at this point anyway!!

Most people would say the engine is tired at this type of mileage and that's why is not making the power I feel it should be, But other then the shuttering on acceleration and the power issue in lift... It really does run and drive well and it pulls really hard between 7,000 and 7,500 and limits at 8,400ish, stock ECU BTW, no PFC.

I will check the compression here pretty soon as well! :eek:

·
Chris
2000 Celica GTS, 1998 4Runner, 2008 Infiniti FX35
184 Posts
I thought I would take a minute and type an update here for someone else with simular issues to reference.

My shuttering and acceleration issue was all caused by the MAFS!! All I did was clean it and reset the ECM and man what a freakin difference! All my loss of torque is now back and lift is strong! 174,000 miles and she pulls hard! :)

So a little recap on my issue.... I bought the car with a shuttering/hesitation issue on acceleration at any throttle other then WOT. Lift was also not working, or was intermittent.

Shuttering issue was the MAFS.

Lift engagement issue was a piece of RTV sealant stuck in the intake cam rocker shaft!

The car runs great now! :)

261 - 263 of 263 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.