NewCelica.org Forum banner

Odd Clutch Engagement after new clutch

842 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mny1337 
#1 ·
Just did a DIY clutch install(smaay's guide), from factory clutch (130k miles), to an Exedy OEM clutch. My clutch engagement is now about 50% pedal travel. From what I've read, a new clutch is supposed to have a very low engagement point. Before the change, my engagement was still really close to the floor. I don't understand why with a brand new clutch it is so high. I drove around the block, and had no problems other than the high engagement and when I let out on the clutch it was as if it was too fast ( like dropping it ).

Did pedal adjustment and it lowered it somewhat, but I still think something may be wrong, and would like a good idea of what it is, before I decide to let it ride or re-drop the tranny.

#3 ·
Negative, didn't even pull it out. I didn't think a worn flywheel would affect engagement though? I'm not getting any slipping, chatter, or any kind of noise right now. Just the odd engagement.

Put on new clutch, the new pressure plate from the kit, torqued to factory specs. New throw out bearing from the kit, greased up the collar and splines. Used alignment tool, adequately centered. Could it have become unaligned when I put the tranny back on? I figured I would have different issues if this were the case.

#4 ·
If it was misaligned, then you wouldn't have been able to get the trans mated up.

The flywheel wears down too, so I think that since you didn't have it resurfaced, then the clutch is having to travel further to engage. When the flywheel is resurfaced, the pressure plate mounting points are also machined so that it brings the pressure plate closer to the engagement surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.