NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning to do this anytime soon. I never changed the celi's oil myself yet and wouldnt know what to do. Need some help. I guess the low profile tires made my car even lower and toyota couldnt get em on da rack.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Just for you, I'll put one together for Sunday night. :) Pick up 5 quarts of oil, an oil eater, a filter (from Toyota if you prefer, if not I'd go with one from Car Quest), and don't forget the oil filter gasket (little round metal ring) from Toyota.

I'd pick up the oil and oil eater from Wal Mart if I were you. It's about $1 cheaper per quart there than anywhere else I've looked. I haven't tried K-Mart tho, so maybe they have good prices too? If you're looking at over $2 per quart of non-synthetic, you're paying way too much.

I think I gotta change my own oil too anyway, so this is pretty good timing. Errrr... we do need some 2x4s tho. Anyone got some?

Lemme know if Sunday's not good for you. ;)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sunday is kinda bad, considering install nites always go late, and i work 6 the next morning, but i'll be there if that's the best for you. it doesnt matter to me since youre doin me the favor. i appreciate that.

is there special sizes for the gasket? i'll prolly end up going toyota to pick up the filter and gasket.

did you switch to synthetic, and does it even matter what oil to buy for our engines??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
skamikaze said:
is there special sizes for the gasket? i'll prolly end up going toyota to pick up the filter and gasket.

did you switch to synthetic, and does it even matter what oil to buy for our engines??
Drain Plug Gasket Part#: 90430-12031
Oil Filter Part#: 90915-YZZA1

Just ask Toyota for this and I'd go synthetic personally :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When you get the gasket I'm pretty sure all the new toyotas have the same size drain plug. So when you go and buy the filter just ask for the drain plug gasket and they should give the right one.

As for oil type, it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money for synthetic oil. Just make sure what ever oil you buy it's 5W30. I've been running synthetic in my car for about 25k miles and haven't had any engine problems. I run synthetic just for the extra protection. It's also nice to know that when I do run my car hard I don't have to worry about any kind of oil failure. But I would recommend if you don't change your oil very often it's probably better to run synthetic. I think it would hold up better say if you go 5 to 7k miles between changes. But that's just my opinion, there are alot of other people who wouldn't agree. :gap:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
143hawaii said:

Drain Plug Gasket Part#: 90430-12031
Oil Filter Part#: 90915-YZZA1

Just ask Toyota for this and I'd go synthetic personally :)
Actually the GTS filter part number is 08922-02002. The 2ZZ uses a slightly bigger filter than the 1ZZ.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kardician said:
if youre going to get the gasket from toyota, can you pick up a couple for me too? i think they are like .25 cents each or so... can you get 10 for me, a few for yourself, and i'll reimburse you for all of them?
yeah i'll get em.
clint you need any?
thanks for the help all. see you folks sunday i guess!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I just threw out Sunday because I know I finish at 5. I think I might actually be off this Friday night, so maybe we can do it then if that's more convenient for you Jay.

Kyler, the drain plug gaskets from Toyota are actually damned expensive for what they are. Last Mark picked some up for me I think they were over $1.00 each!! Ridiculous, since Honda only charges some spare change for one.

Jay, I switched to synthetic after 10k miles. I run the car hard every now and then and I don't mind paying the extra dough knowing that I have the best blood running through the heart of my car. After all, when I run the car hard, I run it HARD, and repeatedly in one night.

Most synthetics will run you another $3 or more per quart tho, so be prepared for the expense. You can run a little more distance between oil changes tho, so that may offset the cost somewhat. I use Valvoline SynPower 5w30, but it's all up to you which brand you wanna use (I've been using Valvoline on all my cars since I was 16, so it's all just product loyalty in my case). I don't think any of us would really make use of a better synthetic than your run-of-the-mill brands from Valvoline, Castrol, etc. I don't see a need to pay more than $4.xx per quart. Anything is better than that cheap CitGo dinojuice they use at Toyota City anyway.

On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with using regular oil too. It's much cheaper.

I prolly do need a gasket tho Jay! I'm not sure but I may be all out. I'll pay ya back for it when we all meet up.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think the 2ZZ needs more volume than the 1ZZ. But the strange thing about the filter applications for the 2ZZ in the Fram catalog since 2000 there have been 3 different filter aplications. '00-'01 PH4386, '02 PH3614 and the '03 PH4967. For some odd reason the '02 has a bigger filter than the '00-'01 but the '03 has a smaller filter than all of them. :wtf:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
k i'll figure out what oil im gonna buy friday at walmart...im gonna drive there before i head to clints house.

and i'll pick up one filter for myself and 7 gaskets.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
GTS808 said:
When you get the gasket I'm pretty sure all the new toyotas have the same size drain plug. So when you go and buy the filter just ask for the drain plug gasket and they should give the right one.
Actually if my memory's correct there's two sizes used by Toyota. 12mm and 14mm

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
143hawaii said:

Actually if my memory's correct there's two sizes used by Toyota. 12mm and 14mm
The older Toyotas used a 18mm x 1.5 thread drain plug with a 19mm head. The new Toyotas use a 12mm x 1.25 thread plug with a 14mm head. so you're partly right. :gap:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I placed an order with Carson Toyota loooonnng ago when I asked everyone if they wanted to jump in but no one did :confused: Everything you need is way cheaper through them. Gaskets were $0.68/each and my oil filters were $3.69/each. The slightly longer 2ZZ filters were actually cheaper than the shorter 1ZZ filters. Don't ask me why? :rolleyes:

The two filters are interchangeable. I was actually dumb, I should've just got the 2ZZ filters. Oh well, just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
GTS808 said:

The older Toyotas used a 18mm x 1.5 thread drain plug with a 19mm head. The new Toyotas use a 12mm x 1.25 thread plug with a 14mm head. so you're partly right. :gap:
Ahhhh! Dammit ya got me! :gap:

·
Registered
742 Posts
damn mitch, sorry to have missed that order you placed....but i think back when you had mentioned that, i had 5 filters that i got through mark...i think mark ordered a whole bunch from toyota city at a discounted price and jon, clint, and me split the bulk order so we all got a pretty good deal....yeah so that's why i didn't jump in on that order you made....let me know next time though...i'm down to just one more filter until i have to buy more

1 - 20 of 39 Posts