NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the dealership coz i got oil leaking from somewhere.. and apparently its coming from the timing belt tensioner assembly? i was planning on buying the parts and doing the work myself after reading about everyones squealing belts due to the tensioner. but i was just wondering.. where the hell is the oil coming from? and how does it involve the belt tensioner? im sorry if this is a stupid question.. but i dont understand how its the belt tensioner. is the timing belt tensioner assembly different from the tsb that everyone else is dealing with? some insight on this would be much appreciated?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Is it the oil/grease from inside the bearing housing of the tensioner? That is what causes the clicking which leads to the squeeling of the belt.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The piston on the tensioner is just an oil filled shock assembly, if it's shaft seal goes bad there will be an oil leak.

it is much easier (and cheaper) to just replace the shock rather than the entire tensioner assembly.

Scott

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
autxr said:
The piston on the tensioner is just an oil filled shock assembly, if it's shaft seal goes bad there will be an oil leak.

it is much easier (and cheaper) to just replace the shock rather than the entire tensioner assembly.

Scott
ohhh.. so thats just the oil from inside the tensioner shock and not motor oil? well in that case ok then. that lil thing.. or shock is the tensioner sub assembly correct? and thats where the oil is coming from? not the round part that the belt goes around? if im not misunderstanding.. then that makes a whole lot more sense to me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just a simple question. I have some kind of rattling noise that only happens when im idling. As soon as I step on the gas, it goes away. If it is my belt tensioner, and I dont fix it, will I leak oil like hi ho silver...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts