NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I replaced lift bolts in my 00 gts. I noticed sometime afterwards that the car leaks fluid from the rear of the engine on the passenger side. I recently pulled the tensioner back out and cleaned it off plus a layer of rtv going on before reinstallation. Still leaking. But to get it out I did move the serpentine belt tensioner so I could get the whole timing chain tensioner all the way out. Both times I did this. So I know my likely culprits but also since I've owned the car the whole power steering system has just seemed wet... I think it'd be odd for it to just now decide to give out when I do maintenance, but I'm sure it's possible as this car also has intermittent power steering if you stay in lift for an extended period of time (i.e. top speed run or such). Beside the point, but worth noting I suppose.

I'm including a picture of the tensioner. You can see new rtv on it. It looks fine to me but I'll keep a watch on it. Hopefully I can find some way to get in there and clean the back of my engine off so I can pay attention to where it's leaking from. And the area just below it is where the bolt for the serpentine belt goes through. Appears it goes through the timing cover so I may have messed that up (timing cover gasket). Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
A little RTV is good insurance, I've never seen one sealed with a little RTV around the lip (not on the O-ring area) leak again and it's how every rebuilt 1ZZ I've see has been sealed up.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should NOT be using RTV on the chain tensioner. thats what the O-ring is for.
A little RTV is good insurance, I've never seen one sealed with a little RTV around the lip (not on the O-ring area) leak again and it's how every rebuilt 1ZZ I've see has been sealed up.
I ONLY used rtv because it was on there when it came out, probably so someone else could be lazy. I put it behind the o-ring but in it's divot. I was NOT liberal with it. Wasn't too sure why an o-ring would need any help... :shrugs:

looks like power steering.
Do you say this because the whole system is wet and has failed on me before? Not that I'm doubtful particularly because the whole pump is covered in... Substance... Grime, I guess. But is there any reason it waited until I did some wrenching to rear it's head?

And thanks for the replies Smaay and Bitter.

I'll get pics of the power steering system tomorrow if I can. Even the cap on the reservoir is cruddy... I'll take pics because I want to know if my pump is being a lusr or if maybe the pressure line can be swapped out or something. Pictures tell a good story in my experience.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Get a couple cans of brake cleaner and dry the whole area up, then run the engine and watch it closely, if needed drive and recheck it till you see where it's starting from.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a couple cans of brake cleaner and dry the whole area up, then run the engine and watch it closely, if needed drive and recheck it till you see where it's starting from.
Okay, and this may be in favor of the power steering leak idea, but I opened the hood just a little while ago and noticed a crap streak on the bottom of it from the serpentine area, and it's heavy on the back where the PS pump is... I know it could be throwing engine oil so I'll still clean and pay attention, but I think I may have a culprit...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Keeps the chassis from rusting. :chuckles:

Anyway, almost all the info seems to be pointing at the PS. Doesn't look to me like it's coming from neither the chain tensioner nor the belt tensioner bolt area. Another possible source would be at the joint between the head, timing chain cover and valvecover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.