NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I noticed I've been having a crazy oil leak since I've changed my oil (personally). When lieing underneath the car, it's dripping off the oil filter on the side closest to the center of the car (or on the side facing toward the oil pan). About a drop every 1-2 second. Before the car use to use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil filter (black one), after I changed to the Fram Oil (orange with black "sure grip") filter it began having the leak. Took the car to have an oil change at Wal-Mart today, and it still seems to be leaking from the oil filter.

I know, previously the T fitting to the oil pressure gauge and turbo has a small leak, but it was never enough to reach the ground. I also know the area around the oil pan seems to have a leak, though I've never seen it actually drip to the ground.

I've included some pictures around the oil pan/filter area itself. As for the build up and such around the oil pan, do you guys think it can be fixed by just replacing the Oil Pan Gasket and new bolts? I haven't changed the oil drain plug gasket yet, that'll probably help but the entire oil pan seems to be covered with oil though...so that can't be the sole cause.

Still not sure what's going on with the oil filter leak though...

Any help, opinions, and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Hope to hear what you guys think, :)

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Not sure what's causing the leak, but get that Fram POS filter outta there. They're horrible. Easiest way to find the leak is to clean the engine bay, then use a UV dye in the oil and follow the drips to the source.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
make sure the gasket on the oil filter is fully seated.

·
Registered
903 Posts
it looks to me it might be the oil pan. Mines leaked just like that with the sides all dirty. I just pulled out the oil pan and put new gasket (the black one from toyota) and its fine for 4 yrs now. Its funny how the car was less than 2 yrs old and leaked. Anyways, there is no gasket you can buy, its all silicone based.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I seem to be having the same problem as you my oil pan looks like yours but isnt as covered in oil. There is no way my car can consume this much oil however I have never actually find any oil spots on the ground? I think it may be the gasket, also my underbody plastics are also getting oil on them?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured it out (somewhat). The oil that was leaking onto the ground was due to a leak on the t-fitting that connects to the oil temp/oil pressure/turbo. Was playing around with it the other day then the whole thing broke off and had a big chunk of the thread inside my engine block. Spent the whole day getting it out and buying a whole new t-fitting, and re-fitting everything with new teflon (it's pink!) which completely stopped the dripping leak.

In all, I think I changed the oil/filter at least 3 times during those 2 days (What a waste...).

However, my oil pan still has build up around it, it's no longer wet as it was before. My oil filter is dry, and the majority of the parts around the area are free from oil/liquid. There are still some places that seem to be soaked in something, but it seems to be something else, eh I'll figure it out later.

The oil pan though (at least 6 years old...), I haven't checked it in a few days, but I'm sure if I replace the gasket with a new one from Toyota (about $20 or less), I'm sure any minor leaks coming from it will be fixed and all the build up will clear away (after being cleaned off) for a good while until the gasket/bolts gets all old again (hopefully in a few years or something...).

Thanks for the feedback everyone. ^^

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6speedGTS said:
Do your self a favor get rid of the Fram it's the worse filter you can use.
Got rid of that along time ago, lol.

On Mobil 1 or the Toyota 10004 now.

Got tired of that Fram "Suregrip" crap warping out til there's no grip...

Besides the cardboard filtering...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts