NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to find the location where the engine oil is leaking.
However, I can't figure it out.
I took a video.
I replaced timing chain tensioner and it is not the leak point.
In this case, timing chain cover makes oil leak??

You can see below

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive exhaust Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Tread Tire Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Wood Tread

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
578 Posts
This oil leak looks minor.

Unless you degrease the engine then check carefully, it's hard to find the leaky spots.

The timing chain cover is likely to leak.

Also the interface between the 3 surfaces, timing cover, cam shaft cover and cam head will have small leaks unless RTV is applied to the gasket at those 2 spots. It's an easy fix. Remove the cam shaft cover and apply RTV on top and bottom of the gasket at those 2 spots. See if it stops the leak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This oil leak looks minor.

Unless you degrease the engine then check carefully, it's hard to find the leaky spots.

The timing chain cover is likely to leak.

Also the interface between the 3 surfaces, timing cover, cam shaft cover and cam head will have small leaks unless RTV is applied to the gasket at those 2 spots. It's an easy fix. Remove the cam shaft cover and apply RTV on top and bottom of the gasket at those 2 spots. See if it stops the leak.
Is that a timing chain cover right?
I think oil leaks from timing cover gasket....too sad...

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is that a timing chain cover right?
I think oil leaks from timing cover gasket....too sad...
Oil is at that timing chain cover. But leak could come out of the interface between the timing chain cover, valve head and valve cover and flow down.

It's an easy fix so try it first. Remove the valve cover and add RTV above and below the gasket, where those 3 pieces come together. Better to add RTV to all corners to prevent any leaks.

The head is Aluminum, pretty soft. Use a torque wrench to torque those bolts evenly so you don't strip the threads. Look up the torque spec, only 8 ft-lbs I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts