NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model: 2000 GTS auto trans

So I've been trying to track down an oil leak. When I did my first change after buying the car, I replaced the drain plug, as I knew it was leaking. No help. A few days ago, I replaced the oil pan gasket. No drips for a few days. Then yesterday, more drops. Crawled under again today, and this is what I can see:

You can see the "drip" in the middle right of the pic, but what concerns me most is how "wet" everything is above (generator if I remember correctly).

Any thoughts??? I'm honestly getting to the point that I may just yank the engine out... But I REALLY don't want to do that if I don't have to obviously.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is the power steering pump above that oil drop. Check your power steering fluid level to see if you have a leak. You could have a leak in one of the hoses or the front seal of the pump. If the P.S. level is fine it could be a valve cover gasket leaking down the back of the engine. See if the block and head are wet above the pump. If that is the case it's probably the valve cover gasket.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
There are several possibilities for the leak.

The least likely would be from the area where the valve cover, head and timing cover join. The sealant could have become brittle and letting oil seep and run down. Again least likely possibility. If the area immidiately below is dry then discard this.

The second possibility is a leaky timing cover gasket. Either the gasket has become brittle or is broken in a few places and letting oil past.

Third would be the timing chain tensioner O-ring.

Fourth would be the power steering pump.

Follow the oil trail up and where it stops is the most likely source.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It can also be the front crankshaft pulley oil seal, which is a very common leaky part on high mileage Toyota motors.
One other leaky area could be the oil pump gasket. I had to change the one on our 90 celica (5sfe) as it dried out (o-ring style gasket) and leaked down the face of the motor and out the bottom of the timing cover.
Clean the oil off the motor with some engine degreaser and run it in a (well ventilated) garage to help isolate the leaky part. Wind from a road test will spread the oil drops everywhere making diagnosis difficult.
Hope this helps.
Dentman

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I have an extremely similar leak and have not yet figured out where it is coming from either. Mu suspicion is that it is the timing cover gasket, but I haven't done anything to confirm that suspicion. I just check the oil regularly and try to clean it up every time I change the oil.

Now that it's finally thawing out here in Ohio I may actually be able to afford to have the celica down for an extended amount of time to perform some extensive and much needed maintenance.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
It's so easy, even you could do it. Worst part is dealing with the belt tensioner that over laps something back there, been a few years now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate all the replies...

This was put on the backburner as I have been working on changing front brake pads, calipers, and rotors, replaced tranny filter, installed CAI and new fog lights. Been a busy past few evenings.

The hardest part I am having is being able to see... I did use some Purple Power and cleaned as best as I could. But I just can't find a good spot as it were to see well enough as to where the leak may be coming from without removing the valve cover, and just haven't had the time to do it. Like I said, it's not terrible, so I'll keep an eye on it for now.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It's so easy, even you could do it. Worst part is dealing with the belt tensioner that over laps something back there, been a few years now.
I'll bring the parts. You can do the work at the meet.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
While it can be done at the meet, it's tedious....unless you want to back out the belt tensioner without removing tension from the belt. Will need:
A 10mm wrench or socket for the chain tensioner nuts.
A 12mm wrench or socket for the belt tensioner pneumatic cylinder.
A 17mm wrench for the belt tensioner main bolt.
A 19mm wrench or socket to turn the crank when unclicking the chain tensioner.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Heh. But this is me and my car. I'll need a lot more before it's complete. Probably parts, too. LOL

Sorry for the thread hijack!

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Nah, that's the only thing keeping that car from rusting away on that side. If anything we need to get it leaking on the other side to match.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
You're just a lazy li'l b....

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
:chuckles: He has a point though. I remember years back, people who were restoring their Lotus Elans ran into the problem, they fixed a common leak on their cars and the cars started rusting in the area. The recommendation was to not fix the leaks anymore.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
This leak's rather new. Relatively few miles since the car was at DDPR. But I hear what you're saying! Trust me, if that car's gonna fall apart from rust it won't start with the engine!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts