NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Mocal oil cooler and Autometer oil tmep and pressure guages.

I remote mounted the pressure sender using a 12 in long SS braided line with 1/8 in NPT ends. The other end is mounted to a hole I drilled and tapped into the side of the Mocal sandwich plate.

My issue is that when I go from say 15% throttle at around 3000rpm to 90-100% throttle I see a small oil pressure drop (about 5psi). Is this a problem? COuld this be because of my remote mounting? Also sometimes at idle it will fluctuate +-5psi without any noticable RPM change. I can't remember if this happened before as I jsut noticed it now (the gauges have been on for about a month).

The oil is Chevron 5w-30. My last UOA showed awsome wear using M1 10w-30. Should I be worried? Is it perhaps the oil filter going into bypass momentarally?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Mechanical or electric sener for the pressure gauge?

If it's electric verify that it is grounded properly (typically the threads are the ground).

I'm not sure about the hole you drilled on the Mocal plate, how do you know it's in the right path of oil? Also, do you care what the pressure is at the oil filter, or do you care what it is at the main bearings?

Scott

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an electric gauge. I'm goign to say it is grounded properly as the Autometer manual says that if it is not grounded properly it will spike to 100 psi rather than drop to 0.

The current setup I have is a stop gap until I can get my Mocal Thermostatic plate to fit. I will be mounting the sender in teh stock location. Is my current location poor? Am I measuring the pressure across the filter rather than the pressure of the oil going through the bearings and up to the head?

I'm a bit clueless about oil prsesure and pumps. I would want the sender mounted on the side of plate which has the oil coming from the filter into the block correct?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Originally posted by 00 scrub
Is it perhaps the oil filter going into bypass momentarally?
not a bad idea. i've read of the possibility of bypass valve on throttle jabs, but havent seen it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts