Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Nothing rocks like a Turbo!!!!

Votes: 16 45.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok I needed a new project so I just got one, engine build.....

I just pick up this mis-shifted ("blown") 2zz-ge engine, the plan is do it up really nice. This coming winter is going to be build the engine time, I'm planning on re-doing or touching up almost everything. Next winter will be drop the engine into the car and upgrade/add the in car stuff to support the engine in it's new state. I'm only doing it during the winter because I still want to race the car in the summer and I'm a little tapped for money right now, so I'm not going to start the engine until winter (unless some big sponsor comes along and give me $$$). Also I want the HP that I get to be reliable and well tuned.

Stuff I'm foresurely going to do:

Crower Cams, valves, springs, and retainers (provided at they get released)
Wieseco Pistons
Crower Rods
Power FC ECU (unless I find something better or there is something that is limited in this ECU that I don't know about yet)
Custom Dry Sump
Head, intake, exhaust Ported and Polished

Plus a bunch more.

Now here is my delema, I unsure if I should go N/A or Turbo, I like the idea of having a rocking N/A car that kicks a$$, but there is just something about the big hp/torque of a turbo. So I need your opinions, submit your vote should I go N/A or Turbo.

Also I'm planning to take pics and do a general write up so that people who what to know what I do to the engine, how well it worked out, want to do the same thing, or take what I do to the next level can. I just hope it all works out in the end and that this will get more people posting what they do to their engines with pic's so the rest of us can follow and build on top of their ideas.

oh and pics.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
N/A!!!
See what that thing can do!!
Its about time some one was willing to put forth the balls needed to make this work.
More power to you!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think N/A is the best way to go. Nothing says power like an all motor car that kicks the $hit out of turbo cars. If I had the money, I'd be doing what you are planning on and some more. But yeah, it's not cheap. So I might go turbo because I'm cheap. But go all motor man.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
hell yea all motor baby, if its not enough power for you, u can always shoot nitrous. thats my goals and what i am heading for, i wouldnt mind seeing a 3zz built by someone on this board, with custom internals ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
How "blown" is "blown". If the engine was blown due to a misshift then you just bought an engine that might be about as useful as that poop I took about an hour ago. If the piston head was chipped and scraped the cylinder wall then you'll be lucky if you can bore it, but the cylinder walls are really thin so that might make the engine weaker. You could line the cylinder walls with a cast iron liner but then again you would have to bore the block. Your definitely gonna need all valves cams so on so forth, but the block crankshaft better be checked with a microscope before you spend too much money on it. Good luck anyway with that hope everything turns out. Oh bye the way... I would go with the Trial 3zz kit with a Blitz blower....as a matter of fact Trial is searching for one more engine to do this to in the United States.....hint hint

·
Registered
374 Posts
All N/A. Im going that way right now. I have a head that Im working on but Im out of money so its going to be a while. Also you can always go turbo afterwards to get even more power.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ScruffyDuck said:
How "blown" is "blown". If the engine was blown due to a misshift then you just bought an engine that might be about as useful as that poop I took about an hour ago. If the piston head was chipped and scraped the cylinder wall then you'll be lucky if you can bore it, but the cylinder walls are really thin so that might make the engine weaker. You could line the cylinder walls with a cast iron liner but then again you would have to bore the block. Your definitely gonna need all valves cams so on so forth, but the block crankshaft better be checked with a microscope before you spend too much money on it. Good luck anyway with that hope everything turns out. Oh bye the way... I would go with the Trial 3zz kit with a Blitz blower....as a matter of fact Trial is searching for one more engine to do this to in the United States.....hint hint
well the engine is going to get sleaved either way n/a or turbo, it's going to get all new valves pistons, rods, too. The oil pump will be replaced with a new one in the dry sump system, the crank is really the only question and I plan on getting that checked. I don't want to go s/c I want to go n/a or turbo. If I go turbo I'm going down to 8.8:1 pistons.

I'm planning on getting after market everything, I want this to be a good engine build and if it take time to do it right then that's what it takes.

on a side note good god your garage is a mess
Ya I know but I've been working on a lot of stuff.

All N/A. Im going that way right now. I have a head that Im working on but Im out of money so its going to be a while. Also you can always go turbo afterwards to get even more power.
no, if I go turbo I want 8.8:1 pistons so I can run more boost and I don't want to drop another 500+ on pistions and rip the engine apart again. Also I will be building it more extreme if I go turbo, which will require a lot more then just slapping a turbo on after.

also did you just happen to have an engine lift sittin around your house?
Actually, I just got back from my trip to pick up the engine and it was just my b-day and the wife bought me the engine stand for my b-day and gave it to me when I got back, so it worked out great.

how much did that motor cost? junkyard find? good find hope it works out
I bought it from the For Sale forum on this site. I won't mension the price just in case there were other people that wanted it and are pissed that I got it. But it didn't come with ecu, injectors, and some other stuff, but that is all going to be replace anyway so I don't care.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
N/A: Bore her out, new pistons, valves, port and polished head, balanced and blue printed, rockers, rods, crank, high power cams, loose the VVTL-i and go stand alone ECU, larger injectors, larger fuel pump with regulator and return line, fuel cooler, and new ignition system. Did I miss anything?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts