NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I installed my new strut today since one of the other ones I got was bad. I must say that these things ride really nice, almost as good as stock. The downside is, even though I haven't gotten an alignment yet, I can tell that these things will not handle near as well as the Hotchkis spring/ strut set-up I was previously running on this particular car. There is a lot of body roll associated with these things, I mean a lot, more than I would like. However, they do ride really nice, much better than the old springs that were on this car. On a side note, due to the handling characteristics of these coilovers I would have to say that I don't think the spring rates for these that are floating around on the board is correct. I mean they are supposed to be some what stiffer than the Hotchkis springs, except for the rear (40lbs. difference) and I can tell you right now that that is not the case. Maybe the alignment will make all the difference in the world, it did when I first installed the Hotchkis springs but I don't even think that is going to make much of a difference with these. There is just no response to them at all. It feels like I am driving a stock Celica with them big ass tires and stock suspension again. On top of that the body roll coming from the rear is just crazy. It sucks big time. I might have to sell these and get a set of Tanabe's or something. I want my car to be really responsive not act like a damn yacht so......! We will see how they do after the alignment.

Oh one more thing, I am kind of curious as to whether or not putting on a different set of sways and end links would effect my alignment settings. I don't think that it will and really do not know how it could but I want to be 100% sure before I go get an alignment for $70, then replace the endlinks and sways only to have to get it aligned again. TIA!

Justin

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DYI01 said:
Sell them and get a set of TEIN's like the SS's or SSP's it's worth it IMO, I love my TEIN SS's.
Yeah I wish I had done that to begin with. The only reason I didn't was because I was trying to save a little bit of $$$$$ and these were on sell for $695 shipped to my door. Obviously, I could not resist and now regret ever buying these. I think I am going to sell them. I dunno I will see what the alignment does for they made all the difference in the world on the other two set-ups I had so we will see. I will keep everyone update. Hopefull I can get an alignment this Friday.

Justin

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
DopeCelicaGT said:
Oh one more thing, I am kind of curious as to whether or not putting on a different set of sways and end links would effect my alignment settings. I don't think that it will and really do not know how it could but I want to be 100% sure before I go get an alignment for $70, then replace the endlinks and sways only to have to get it aligned again. TIA!

Justin
Don't worry about the endlinks and sway bars when you get alignment, they won't change a thing. Unless you install a front bar after you get an alignment!

Tein SS's are pretty good, I wish I got the HA's when they were out, but I had no money :(

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue Bomber said:
Get some Hotchkis sways to get rid of the body roll.
I already have Hotchkis Comp. sway bars. It seems to me that these coilovers are just plain too soft. However, they should be stiffer than most spring/strut set-ups, but I think that is not the case. I have every other suspension stiffening thing you can imagine LOL and my car handles like a boat now. However, I find it hard to believe that this much bad handliung characteristics could all be attributed to the coilovers. I just do not see how they could be this bad. Anyways I am thinking the alignment may have a huge play in it. I hope so because I really do not want to go through the hassle of selling these, taking them off, shipping them, ordering another set of coilovers and then putting them on. Anyways I will keep you guys updated. Wish me luck.

Justin

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by pr0file
Don't worry about the endlinks and sway bars when you get alignment, they won't change a thing. Unless you install a front bar after you get an alignment!

Tein SS's are pretty good, I wish I got the HA's when they were out, but I had no money :(
Why do you think the HA's are better then the SS's?

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
MicaCeli said:
Higher spring rates and I believe more adjustability/stiffness on the shocks.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Higher spring rates and I believe more adjustability/stiffness on the shocks.
Spring rate is the same.
7kg front 9kg in the back.
Both are 16 way adjustable.
SS-P's have no helper spring.
SS-P's have a shorter length body and have pillow ball mounts.
SS-P's are teflon coated to prevent rust.
SS-P's are EDFC compatible.

There is a guy thats selling his HA's localy.....butI don't know if I want to get them or just get a set of SS-P's :(

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MicaCeli said:
Spring rate is the same.

There is a guy thats selling his HA's localy.....butI don't know if I want to get them or just get a set of SS-P's :(
:werd: I always thought the SSP's were a step up from teh HA's!

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
MicaCeli said:
Spring rate is the same.

Go with the SS-P's cause the front pillow ball mounts have a camber plate, I believe :)

And your original question was:
MicaCeli said:
So I was referring to the difference between the HA's and SS's not SS-P's :)

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Go with the SS-P's cause the front pillow ball mounts have a camber plate, I believe :)

And your original question was:

So I was referring to the difference between the HA's and SS's not SS-P's :)
Ah ah...:) Although the difference between the SS's and SS-P's are the pillow ball mounts and the spring rate.

I concede your point.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah one more thing I forgot to mention is that the car does not look lowered. I mean it does but it doesn't. For example, the front looks just right when it is on the 42nd thread from the bottom but the back still has a 3 finger gap or more even on the 18th thread vs. TRD's recommended 14 which is in itself supposed to be a 1.75 inch drop. However, I am afraid to lower the back anymore simply because TRD says that they cannot guarantee the struts will handle anymore than the recommended 1.75 plus they cannot guarantee that the set screws will stay in place.

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
MicaCeli said:
Ah ah...:) Although the difference between the SS's and SS-P's are the pillow ball mounts and the spring rate.

I concede your point.
It's all good! :)

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
MicaCeli said:
I'll be running DSP next season.....so I need all the help I can get......SS-P's it is :)
I'm still campaigning STS...I would have made Nationals this year, but I'm getting married in Sept/Oct. Next year will tell the tale if I go LSD or not :)

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
I'm still campaigning STS...I would have made Nationals this year, but I'm getting married in Sept/Oct. Next year will tell the tale if I go LSD or not :)
Congrats :)

This was my 1st full season and TRD spring's/Struts were not cutting it. I think I might get good localy. Don't think I have the skill/motivation for nationals. When my clutch went I could not bring myself to put the stock one back in :( so that bumped me to DSP......if you only do the LSD you can hit up STX.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MicaCeli said:
Congrats :)

This was my 1st full season and TRD spring's/Struts were not cutting it. I think I might get good localy. Don't think I have the skill/motivation for nationals. When my clutch went I could not bring myself to put the stock one back in :( so that bumped me to DSP......if you only do the LSD you can hit up STX.
Well if TRD springs/struts aren't cutting it then it is time for their coilovers :chuckles:!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.