NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike (00silvergts6spd) mentioned blowing motors at the illegals and it brought to mind a race I had when I first started racing.

Tho I was young me and my brother in law had a friend of his do a few things to his 88 GT Stang. After running the track the 88 GT was doing mid 13's. I dont remember what the GT had done so I wont even speculate.

Our other friend had a 82 Toyota starlet with 13b rotory out of a 86 GSL SE rx-7. Mustang rear and a few all motor mods.

That car was supposedly running low 13's.

Then there was this Kid at the races lately at the time, whom had a Grand National. For those who dont know, Its a Turbo 6 cylinder. Wasnt this the motor in the Syclones and Typhoon's?

Anyways, the GN would never race. The kid just sat quietly. It was real nice looking. My brother in law finally approached the kid one day and asked if he would race. He politely declined.

He was asked to race because the mustang and starlet were beating everyone. Only losses my B-Inlaw had were to the starlet and vice versa.

So Mr. Starlet starts yapping and yapping and yapping to the Grand national about racing. The kid, maybe 17-18 years old, blushingly continued to decline.

So now he is embarrassing this kid and the kid finally says fine.

Mr. Starlet gets a lil heart and wants to bet $ 100 bucks.Then seeing the kid was hesitant, wants to bet $ 500 bucks. The kid reluctantly agrees.

After all the BS and hype dies down they line up to race. My B-Inlaw flags them.

The Grand National is even with the starlet on the launch and then proceeds to burn the starlet by what I would call 20 cars to 100 MPH.

Now Mr. Starlet thinks he is big and bad and says "you aint gettin any money from me." That caused a comotion. The other racers/spectators were gonna kick this guys ass if he didnt pay the kid.

The kid didnt want trouble with anyone and offered to give him a head start on the 2nd race. If he couldnt win he would waive the 500 Bucks. Everyone said coo.

This is where it gets weird for both of them.

The starlet launches rides a wheely and FLIPS BACKWARDS!!!!! The GN just contiuned as he had no idea as the flip came after the kid passed him. The GN continues and ends up blowing his motor literally and the cal Induction hood flying off.

The kid says politely afterwards, "I think I need the 500 Dollars to fix my motor."

The guy Tries to tell my B-inlaw "yo take me outta here I dont have the cash." My B-Inlaw says No, being that he wasnt the idiot who pushed the issue.

Some of the friends who accompanied this kid were gonna whoop Mr. Starlet's ass. After alot of arguing and pushing and shoving, the fight is broken up by the cops arriving to break up the racing. The kid in the GN follows Us home as Mr. Starlet needed to get a loan.

So A Blown Turbo and a Flipped Starlet, all in all a few feelings got hurt. The Kid later said he didnt wanna race or bet because he was running 11's Vs the Starlet's 13's.

It was classic. Both of the cars were confiscated from Police after that.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arent they low 13's stock?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Originally posted by NoRulzAt140 Mph
arent they low 13's stock?
I believe there pretty close to that, I always thought they were mid 13 stock, buts its hard to find one that runs that good stock now. I raced one in my GT and that thing must of been on its death bed because he barely got me by like half a car. I love those cars though my friend had one that was decently quick, it was fun riding with him smoking ricers that had no idea what the car was.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Originally posted by black02gt
I believe there pretty close to that, I always thought they were mid 13 stock, buts its hard to find one that runs that good stock now. I raced one in my GT and that thing must of been on its death bed because he barely got me by like half a car. I love those cars though my friend had one that was decently quick, it was fun riding with him smoking ricers that had no idea what the car was.
There was the the GN and the there was the GNX which was the turbo v6. It's quite possible that you may have raced the non-turbocharged version unless you could definitely hear the turbo spooling.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was the base GN still a 6?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Some turbo Regal info.

GNs in 86-87 were 3.8 liter turbos that were intercooled-87 had 5-10HP more due to some ecm changes. 85s were basically the same but not intercooled(14 sec car). Hp was 245 for 87s with 350FT pounds of torque which is a joke. It was much more.
However that same motor combo could be had in other Regals and in 87 could be HAD in any Regal. I have seen column mounted shifters in Regal Limiteds with 3.8 liter turbos. This is the real sleeper Buick because its not a GN and lighter. In 87 they had a sport model and T model(replaced the T Type from 86). Again any could be had with the GN power plant. I have a friend with a silver Regal Limited(original owner) His best time stock was 13.97-13.8s or so was not unheard of. Easy car to go low 13s "stock" meaning with a few tricks. Easy car to go low 12s while looking stock under the hood too. Traction is very good with these Regals. The trick is to hang with them out of the hole because on stock rubber 1.8 sixty foots is not unheard of. Brake boost and go.

Motor was pretty advanced for its time despite having pushrods-ignition like Supras at the time had coil packs-unheard of.

GNX came out in 87-bigger tires/rims,bigger speedo,different springs,different fenders with louvers,girdle on the rear and a cermaic coated turbo among other differences. HP was rated at 275 which again was wrong-more like 285RWHP. Stock low 13s and they could hang and beat Calloway TT Vettes. That was back in 87 so that is really moving. Worth a lot of money now and was sold for about 35,000$. To get parts for one from Buick-you have to prove to them you own the car-this keeps the lesser cars from getting factory parts. The GNX is the Grand National from hell.

Same motor came out in the 1989 Turbo Trans AM(different head used to clear the hood and all of them were white)) 165 MPH top speed and great handling.

They(Turbo Regals) do suffer from GM reliablity and can nickel and time you to death. They handle like crap and brakes are borderline. But in terms of power they are unreal. Stock block sucks after 500HP or so but who cares.

Nice races-was that starlet red by chance?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Tikked Again said:
There was the the GN and the there was the GNX which was the turbo v6. It's quite possible that you may have raced the non-turbocharged version unless you could definitely hear the turbo spooling.
I heard the turbo spoolin up when he came up to me, thats what caught my attention. When he pulled up to me I was like oh sh!t I'm gonna get smoked, then we raced and he barely beat me. I talked to him for a sec at the stoplight and he told me he was havin problems with the car.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Mike Morris

Nice races-was that starlet red by chance?
Red. yes.

I remember telling you this story when we were at your buddies house.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
GNX came out in 87-bigger tires/rims,bigger speedo,different springs,different fenders with louvers,girdle on the rear and a cermaic coated turbo among other differences. HP was rated at 275 which again was wrong-more like 285RWHP. Stock low 13s and they could hang and beat Calloway TT Vettes. That was back in 87 so that is really moving. Worth a lot of money now and was sold for about 35,000$. To get parts for one from Buick-you have to prove to them you own the car-this keeps the lesser cars from getting factory parts. The GNX is the Grand National from hell.
I'm not insane and there were NA GN's right?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Grand Nationals own all......

that is on my top 5 list of cars (within reason) that I would love to own. I've seen them run 11's at the track.... so quiet all you can hear is the turbo.....

I also had one take off next to me from a 30 mph roll.... first I heard spooling, then the tires broke loose!!!
:drool: :eek:wned: :nutkickhi

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No there was not. Sorry.
wasnt there a aesthetic option for the v-8 regal to look like a GN?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the fastest gn is kenny dutweiler's his best I heard was 6.42 with a twin turbo V6 and it still has the crome bumpers!! Insane $hit!

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GN was alllll black. I dont think it had chrome bumpers.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used to have a video of a Twin Turbo GN on the dyno but I can't find it now. His turbos were sticking out of his hood and all you could hear was the loudest spooling noise I have ever heard. I think he pulled 1025 hp and like 1000 lbs of torque, it was amazing.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by GTX_GUY
Right I meant the steel front and rear bumpers.
Gotcha

·
Registered
87 Posts
black02gt said:
I used to have a video of a Twin Turbo GN on the dyno but I can't find it now. His turbos were sticking out of his hood and all you could hear was the loudest spooling noise I have ever heard. I think he pulled 1025 hp and like 1000 lbs of torque, it was amazing.
Yeah I think I still have that vid too where he was got wheel spin and smoked the tires on the dyno! That wasn't a six though it was a V8 twin turbo and the exhaust was coming out the front fenders.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts