NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been on D2 coilovers for 3-4 years now and I really like the ride on nice pavement, I don't even mind the big bumps. The problem though is I feel the handling is kinda numb when I am on heavily grooved pavement from heavy trucks, or overly repaired/patched up roads, changing lanes in those situations is more or less random, not to the point of being dangerous, but just really odd feedback from the steering wheel.

I don't think D2s are really good but I'm not willing to say they are the problem here, I only have a strut tower bar, maybe getting some upgraded sway bars and some chassis braces would make it better, I can somewhat feel the body work a lot on some bumps. I'm going to be taking my strut tower bar off for a bit soon, its not looking so hot gonna sand it down and repaint it, maybe it will feel different while it's off.

Only have like 3k-5k miles on the coilovers, I store the celica in the winter. They are adjusted at about 65% towards the stiffer side, I'm thinking like 24/36 towards the hard side if that makes any difference.

Thoughts?

Oh forgot to mention I'm on 17x8, 225/40/18 tires, maybe my tires are a bit wide and it may influence things on the patched up roads.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
You say handling but it sounds more like lane-following and changing on rough and grooved roads. 'Wandering' could be a front toe problem (alignment after those coils?) or just bouncing around with a stiff suspension on crap roads. LOL

If it's about turning corners upgraded sways are MANDATORY. I had mine before I went BC coils and loved it then and more now, of course.

I'm sure others will pipe up about other possibilities.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Probably mismatched spring and damper rates, my BC's don't behave like that at all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found out I need to replace my right link kit for my rear sway bar that might help. Probably will upgrade to whiteline's if stock doesnt hold up very long.

Think gjkissel2 is having the same things going on, which is probably what's happening.

I had an alignment done 2-3 weeks after putting them on. I can't say I played around a lot on the adjustments other then ride height, probably should look into that.

Maybe I should do the maverick mod on my rear sway might help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts