NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't bring myself to pay 200+ dollars for a nice heavy shift knob... so I made one. :smoke:

made from 418 surgical stainless steel. it is based off the TWM Desert Eagle knob, but of course its got a personal touch to it,

it took over a month of a half hour here and there to get to this step.

it is not done. this week I plan to jewel the outside. haven't decided if I want to jewel the 45 on the cap or not.

also plan to engrave the top with the word heavenly I haven't decided if I want a normal engraving, or laser engraving.

what do you guys think?

·
New Kid
282 Posts
Cool idea. Looks good! I dunno about jewels though but that's just me. Post a pic when its finished!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
New Kid
282 Posts
Ahh much better. That actually looks pretty good. Thought you meant some bedazzle. Lol. :D

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
See, and I'd just put the 6-sp shift patter on it. :D

Nice work! You might wanna take orders for custom-engraved shift knobs 'round here...

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! would it be worth it for people to send me stuff? I havnt checked prices for engraving but I cant believe they would want more than 25 bucks for something simple.

if I go for laser engraving I will have to pay as the cnc doesn't have a laser.

btw this was all hand made on a lathe not in a cnc with a program.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I meant you'd make the shift knobs, too! :D

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I probably wont get into making these for other people. if I come up with time to make more ill make a different thread for that.

I have a defective copy of the one posted above. the cap flew off and exploded the tool I was using.. ruined the cap and buggered up the threads a bit on the shaft. so the whole thing is scrap. :bang:

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol yea that was the idea. So far in person no one has noticed that it opens until i show them. :)

Little update no pics till tomnarow.
I kinda drilled 8 holes in the top. And 24 in the middle curved area. Think ima fill them with brass.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Dog will smell it.

However the hollow top is a great idea to combat the searing heat it will collect sitting in the sun baking in the hot car. That will lower the thermal mass that your body needs to conduct away to make it non painful to touch.

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dog will smell it.

However the hollow top is a great idea to combat the searing heat it will collect sitting in the sun baking in the hot car. That will lower the thermal mass that your body needs to conduct away to make it non painful to touch.
yea that O-ring isn't enough to fool a good dog. but maybe the knob can be good enough to fool its owner. more than likely the po po will tear apart the plastics.

I never thought about that, but yea I suppose it does help. lucky me the temp rarely touches 100f.

oh and its water proof! :)

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
update

as it sits right now its a skeleton knob :chuckles:

I messed up and drilled the top holes a little bigger than the should be. so I have to wait till I can use the cnc to turn some brass pieces to insert.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts