NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
lol yeah no, I read your thread a little while ago...I half considered doing the work myself, but i figured it would take me too long (that and the fact that I was too scared :eek:: ). Do you do much drag launching on yours now?

I went to the shop today and had a look....fml....goodbye Kaaz 4.8 final drive :chuckles:

As much as I'd like to have the parts cyro'd, I don't have the time. I want to make a drag strip event on 12th October and I still am yet to tune the big cam on my motor, so time is of the essence.

Hopefully my Jubu unit will arrive asap this coming week and then then shop will be able to have the rebuilt tranny ready for me to fit next weekend.
Yeah I definitely bang the gears when the situation warrants it but I don't do many high rpm launches just because I'm not a drag guy I'm a track/autocross guy. That being said I never worry about breaking something, if something breaks i'll just fix it. I can appreciate your dedication to the Celica, things will turn your way soon. Keep at it. :thumbup:

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok and so, the equivalent of $2362.97USD later...we have a Jubu 5.0 semi helical final drive. Here are some comparison shots vs a stock 4.529 (albeit it's sat on the stock diff)

looks smaller than stock here, but that's because the stock one is closer to the camera, being sat on the diff

looks like it's ever so slightly bigger in diameter vs stock

and clearly it's semi-helical cut...

thicker teeth too

stock teeth...

I'm not sure if the output shaft is the same as the one that just died....but i'll need to have a look at the one at the shop tomorrow.

Gonna drop the parts to the shop tomorrow morning and hope that they are able to assemble it all and have it ready for me to collect on Saturday morning. Let's hope this unit was worth the astronomical price tag. Really sucks that the Honda guys can get a 5.0 final drive for like $750USD :marky:

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
If you break that it'll be epic. Do they make a stronger first gear too? That would be the next to go.....

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
ok and so, the equivalent of $2362.97USD later...we have a Jubu 5.0 semi helical final drive. Here are some comparison shots vs a stock 4.529 (albeit it's sat on the stock diff)

I'm not sure if the output shaft is the same as the one that just died....but i'll need to have a look at the one at the shop tomorrow.

Gonna drop the parts to the shop tomorrow morning and hope that they are able to assemble it all and have it ready for me to collect on Saturday morning. Let's hope this unit was worth the astronomical price tag. Really sucks that the Honda guys can get a 5.0 final drive for like $750USD :marky:
I can tell you for a fact that the output shaft you have is not stock. The new shaft and differential determines that 5.0 final drive. They should be able to get it back to you by then easily. The thing that takes the longest is the gasket sealer curing. Make sure they boil that ring gear.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you break that it'll be epic. Do they make a stronger first gear too? That would be the next to go.....
lol, i'm really hoping i don't break this one :chuckles: besides, if it fails again, I'll just drop in a stock C60. I only need this to survive a few runs at the drag strip at the bare minimum.

And no they don't make a stronger first gear. They do a third and fourth, but I'm not boosted and in any case, the ratio's are a little longer which I won't really want.

I can tell you for a fact that the output shaft you have is not stock. The new shaft and differential determines that 5.0 final drive. They should be able to get it back to you by then easily. The thing that takes the longest is the gasket sealer curing. Make sure they boil that ring gear.
Ahh so they both work together to make the bigger ratio....I always thought it was the ring gear diameter/teeth count. Good to know :thumbup:

I dropped off the final drive set to the shop just now and the guy was like hmm this won't fit blah blah and I said it will! He only overlaid the ring over the existing ring gear which was still on the lsd and hence the bolt holes weren't lining up completely. Ahem...i hope I haven't managed to find another monkey shop to mess me about yet again. Fingers crossed they do a good job and in double quick time. Something tells me that they won't have it ready for me to collect on Saturday morning though :sadpace:

Anyway, here are some comparison pics with the Kaaz/C-One 4.8 final drive....the 4.8 looks like it has thicker teeth than the stock unit, but still nowhere near the girth of the 5.0. Also, the angle almost looks semi-helical cut like the 5.0....give or take a few degrees? :shrugs: the tip of the teeth look about the same thickness though...just the base is different of each one.

Hopefully the stronger material and teeth beef will keep this one running strong for a long time.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Ahh so they both work together to make the bigger ratio....I always thought it was the ring gear diameter/teeth count. Good to know :thumbup:

I dropped off the final drive set to the shop just now and the guy was like hmm this won't fit blah blah and I said it will! He only overlaid the ring over the existing ring gear which was still on the lsd and hence the bolt holes weren't lining up completely. Ahem...i hope I haven't managed to find another monkey shop to mess me about yet again. Fingers crossed they do a good job and in double quick time. Something tells me that they won't have it ready for me to collect on Saturday morning though :sadpace:

Hopefully the stronger material and teeth beef will keep this one running strong for a long time.
Just make sure that they BOIL the ring gear like I mentioned so it'll fit on your LSD or whatever differential that you are using. This process is directly taken from Toyota Volume 2 page 456. I have clean, unscanned pdfs of both books so if you need copies PM me and I'll email them to you. I'd suggest just staying on top of things.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Boiling really is the best way to evenly slowly heat the gear. You can also chill the other part to make it slip on much easier too if just boiling doesn't do the trick.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll mention it to them tomorrow when I call them at 11am for an update. I really would like to think though that they know all of the correct methods (ie, boiling the gear) in order to make it slip on. I'll be pretty worried if they say it doesn't fit and they didn't think to do that....we'll see I guess. I won't hold my breath for this weekend though.

Urgh, I hate it when things like this are out of my control. If there is a next time and I'm not in such a rush, I'll be sure to buy the tools and give it a go myself.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,267 Posts
Interesting. I had to look it up. ;)

Attachments

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, with or without boiling, I spoke to the guy yesterday and he said he managed to fit the ring gear ok which is a good thing I guess. Bad news is that apparently the 2nd gear synchro is toast and he needs to order one on Monday for it to be ready by mid-week (which means I can only fit it next weekend). Grrr.

I did say to him that the 2nd and 3rd gears + synchro's were replaced around 2000 miles ago when the tranny was rebuilt with the lsd etc but he didn't seem convinced. Ahem. I wonder what they the previous engine builder guy didn't do, but claimed that he did :marky:

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
SO after around 5 or 6 weeks - I got the tranny back. Fitted it yesterday. Had a bit of drama when I started the engine...it ran for a few seconds and then randomly lurched forward and stalled (as though I'd just put it into gear and released the clutch).

I was like...hmm. Restarted and the car just lurched forward and didn't start. I figured it was stuck in gear...but the selector was in neutral. It was really bizarre. The car wouldn't allow me to push it back and no matter how many times I moved from like 3rd gear into neutral, it wouldn't help the problem. I tried manually releasing the clutch at the fork via a breaker bar and i was able to push the car back...so I figured it was a disengagement problem (and I thought hmmm...sounds like de ja vu). Anyway, long story cut short for 2way's benefit - I raised the front end with wheels off the ground...started the motor and it was running. I selected various gears and it seemed ok. I then lowered it down and it was behaving as normal. This baffled me and made me slightly worried that the issue would come back some day...but for now, it's ok.

Car runs beautifully. I'm running a stage 2 Competition Clutch now (http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_111&products_id=1791) in addition to the rebuilt tranny. Butt dyno has registered a slight increase in acceleration as expected, which is great. Gears 1 to 3 the car is very willing to dart forward smoothly from low rpm :thumbup:

The semi helical cut was near enough identical to the Kaaz 4.8...just a tiny bit straighter. As a result, the 'whine' is virtually non existent tbh. It's like when you reverse your car but really slowly and you can jussst about make out the sound of an uneven meshing...it's kinda like that. I could only really hear it when cruising at very low rpm and on deceleration. Certainly can't hear it when accelerating normally, but then my car is quite loud so that's probably why also.

Gearing - ok so from what I remember, 30mph in 4th gear is 2100 rpm and 60mph is 3000rpm in 6th.

One issue to report - it was ok initially going into 6th gear but I went on a second drive late at night and after a while it didn't like going into 6th. It felt a bit vague going into 6th and would then just pop out when I accelerated. I'm guessing it's a shifter issue that I'll have to iron out. I need all the gears I can get because this thing is very buzzy now. It's a good job that this isn't my DD :eek::

Anyway, so yeah, to conclude the thread - all is well now. Let's see how long this Jubu 5.0 final drive lasts. Hopefully I'll not have to update this thread in the future ;)

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Check the clutch master and slave, if needed bleed them or hell just replace them. It sounds like they weren't releasing the clutch properly at first. As for the shifter issue, check that nothing got routed wrong with the cables.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Very sexy - I guess the wallet bending price has more to do with the volume they sell, than any magic interstellar materials they are making the Toyota one from.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts