NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm wondering what your opinions are on a certain wheel weight. I have 18" Zelda Magnum's on order from Japan for my Trial kit (they're the ones on the Trial Celica) and they are made by Rays Engineering. Anyways, I was initially under the impression that they weighed 20 lbs for 18" wheels. Now I find out that they weigh 22 lbs.

Do you think that 22 lbs for an 18" wheel is too heavy? I'm shooting for the closest to stock GTS 16" combo (wheel and tire) weight as possible. A stock 16" GTS wheel & tire combo = 40 lbs. I am getting 18" Zelda Magnums and 20.5 lb Toyo T1-S tires, so the total weight would be 40.5 lbs. Very close to stock and 2" bigger.

I know that your opinions can't change anything now since the wheels are already on order, but I'm just wondering???

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Regardless of weight, 18's are too big to really stay on top of the performance aspects when comparing to the stock 16's. If you want to move quick, you really want a smaller diameter wheel especially on a car with no torque.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
well, its hard to stay close to the stock tire Diameter with a 18in rim. my 17's have a overall larger diameter by a small bit. I can feel a performance decrease by a small bit. But yet I feel that I have enough tire to keep from bending a wheel. I think the diameter plays a bigger role in performance than weight.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you are that worried about weight/performance...then you shouldnt be looking at an 18" rim anyways. Its more than the weight of the rims that slow you down...its rotational mass. Bigger rim, takes more power to move it off the line...regardless of it weighing less than stock.

If you want to race your car or be competative in the 1/4mile....stick with light 16" or if you can handle it 15" rims.

If you want somewhat go but still show...go with 17" rims.

If you plan on going strickly show..then go nuts with 18-19" rims.

Other than that...stop freaking on the weights when it comes to 18's...its not even worth arguing over 1 or 2 pounds/rim at that stage of the game.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah, 40lbs on 16lb is different from 40lbs on 18. When the weight gets farther from the rotation center, the effect is increased.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you kidding me or WHAT??? Thats gotta be the funniest statement I have heard on these boards in a long time! haha

If you are even remotely close to serious...you would also have to realize that those cars are running 300+ hp and have more than enough torque to make them fly off the line with 18-19" rims.

Thanks for the laugh.... hahaha

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aerospike2002 said:
All the cool insanely fast cars in Super Street have 18" wheels.....

Yes....I wanted to post that little snippet up to see how many of you would get a good laugh out of it:chuckles: I'm glad you enjoyed it IRL!!!

On a serious note though, what do you guys think of Roja Furious 5 wheels? I know that they're going to be the official 2F2F wheel, but I contacted Roja today and the 18x8.0 wheel that fits a Celica (5x100) only weighs 14 lbs. It's due to their rotary forging technology. Anyways, I'm talking about what do you guys think of them visually?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think that they look pretty nice. Kinda like the factory rims that you see on Porsches. But 14 lbs on 18's? Thats crazy light. Next question- How much and where can you get them?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$630 each rim and they are not yet available since 2F2F hasn't been released yet. However, you can contact JR's Wheels & Tires @ (562) 809-0098 for more information if you're in CA. They are an exclusive distributor for Ro_Ja.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yea 22 lbs for those Rays 18 inch wheels is heavy. I dont' think Rays had performance, light weight wheels in mind when designing that wheel you are getting. I know the Enkei RS6 are 22 lbs also in 18's, so I'm guessing the wheels you got are for looks then.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Actually, compared to most 18" wheels, the Zelda Magnum's are pretty light. Besides, the weight that was given to me was done on a people scale. To get a truly accurate weight, which should be about 20 lbs, a postal scale would need to be used. People scales are usually inaccurate by 1-2 lbs. Besides, I've been doing a lot of research lately, and they are the lightest 18" wheels that I actually like. Keyword = Actually like. Here's the other 18" wheels I like, and they are very heavy. They make the Zelda Magnum's at 20 lbs. or even 21 lbs. at the very most (weighed on a postal scale) look anorexic.

Racing Hart Type CR Multipiece 18x7.5 = 27-28 lbs. Forged.

Volk AV3 18x7.5 = 25 lbs. Forged.

SSR Decolte Evolution
I wish I could find the weight of these wheels. I think they would look sick. But, I'm imagining they're heavy as well even if they're forged and made by SSR.

·
Registered
500 Posts
jpra923 said:
hey IRL, what size rims are on that carbon blue car of yours?
Those are 18's in the pic. :)

And aerospike...when going to an 18" rim, I would be very very cautious about a rim that weighs 14lbs. The materials used to make the rim lighter also might make it more prone to damage. Light light rims are reserved for track use...since you know the track has excellent roads. For everyday driving, I would hate to roll on 14lb 18" rims...you never know if that last bump you hit put a dent in your $630 rim.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IRL said:

And aerospike...when going to an 18" rim, I would be very very cautious about a rim that weighs 14lbs. The materials used to make the rim lighter also might make it more prone to damage. Light light rims are reserved for track use...since you know the track has excellent roads. For everyday driving, I would hate to roll on 14lb 18" rims...you never know if that last bump you hit put a dent in your $630 rim.

IRL,
Hehe....thanks man for that point. It doesn't make a difference though, because I had already ordered my 18x7.5 Zelda Magnum's which weigh 20 lbs. I was just doing my usual thing - wondering about things AFTER I placed the order!
Also, Ro_Ja quoted me wrong. The 18x8 Furious 5's will weigh around 20 lbs when they come out. That seems more like it! Especially for a multi-piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.