NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 01 Mustang with 11k miles on it. Love the acceleration, hate the size, handling.

A local Nissan dealer has a Silver 01 Celica GTS with 12k miles for $18k. It has TRD suspension & aftermarket rims/tries. I'm probably going to go look @ it on Saturday. I've driven one 4 months ago, but hated the acceleration, loved the handling, size, & style though.

I have a number of questions:

Who here would trade the Stang for this GTS?

How is the quality of the Celica GTS? Any major worries?

What kind of non-forced induction power adders could I get for it?

I'd like to get the car to 230hp/170' lbs tq minimum.

Will Toyota/TRD be offering a Turbo or Supercharger under warranty?

Any general comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
mustang v6 or 8?

also the celica auto or 6 spd

i would probably trade for an auto gts if it was a v6 mustang

quality of the celi is top notch, we have numerous members who drive the car hard and have 60,000 plus miles on it with no worries.

na mods would be intake, pulleys, exhaust, safc, header, downpipe, but u wont be in the 230 hp without FI

no turbo or sc from trd for the 2zz motor..

get it, ull be happy u did..

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
1. I would.

2. Going from a Ford to a Toyota, naw i wouldnt worry. :D

3. I wouldn't say the GT-S is flawless, but I haven't had a single major problem. im at 58k miles now.

4. With the 11.5:1 compression ratio, I'll just say none. However there are options out there or coming out soon.

5. Won't happen any time soon without F/I at least.

6. Most likely not for the GT-S.

7. I think the celica does everything better than a base stang except aftermarket potential. I'd say the celica does everything better than a GT stang except for aftermarket potential and straightline acceleration. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coOOlcelica said:
springs
shocks
sway bars
Thanks - any more details?
Springs - how much do they lower the car from stock?
Shocks - Does TRD make 'em?
Sway Bars - TRD? Does the GTS not include sway bars stock?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
look into the forced induction forum.
They have a turbo that puts out 260hp to the wheels and 188 tq to the wheels.
not bad for a car that weighs 2500 pounds huh

·
Registered
96 Posts
if you are looking for a quality this is the car. i have been driving it hard and no problems. This car seems unbreakable. It feels that way too. even though it's not as fast as v8 but it is fun to drive it surely is. handeling, peppy engine, engine is simple to work on, you only need 4qt of oil(meaning you wont be spending a lot even if you buy syhthetic). get the car and in the long run you will be happy that you did.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Well since you said stang GT, I'd say keep the stang if HP and acceleration is what you want.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
It depends on your personal perference, A high revving 4cyl that handles like a go-cart or a torquey muscle car that'll pin you back in your seat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You'll love the handling and feel of the GTS over the stang... but if you're like most of us, you're gonna want more power. And considering that you had a V8 before, you're probably going to be a bit disappointed with the celi. Why not sell the Stang and buy mid 90's sport compact with a turbo (eclipse, celica all trac, mr2, etc.)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well it depends on how you want to throw your money around really. The celica's strong suit is in its suspension. check out hotchistuning.com. With their suspension kit, the otherwise stock gt-s out performs a porche and a newstyle corvette. 1.04 lateral G's. Also don't forget that you might now be as power hungry as you think. 230hp on a mustang isn't going to go as far as 220hp on a celica, because the celica weighs about 1000lbs less.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Read these forums ans see the anger many Celica owners feel about the lack or performance parts for the car. Coming from a v8 Mustang you will be dissapointed with the acceleration of the Celica. TRD has not interest in making a Turbo for our car. For performance the WRX is the much better choice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
spend $ on a nice set of H&R springs and bilstiens. only after that can you bitch about the handiling of your mustang
also what tires are you running? mine behaved MUCH better when i went from no-name tires to BFgoodrich KDW's

and on edit: honestly, if i were you, id get the newest best condition GSX i could find, replace the timing belt and oil pump (cnrakwalk insurance) and upgrade turbo, fuel system, springs, shocks, swaybars :) youd have a 4 wheel drifting/handiling machine and plenty of power if you pick the right turbo combination. best of all the suspention for handiling will only help you more at the dragstrip :)

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
actually the actual website where i got this very link to this webiste is a trd dealer and has trd turbocharger in it for the gt..... i never checked the gt-s.....NOW...it has its projected numbers, and it has the "set to be released in ________, but the date of teh actual thing looks alil old. but just go to www.trdtoyota.com and search for forced indction and it shows a turbocharger, now this site seems to update very INFREQUENTLy, but i asked my local dealer n they said, its still in devlopment, and the delays are as bad as nintendo games...

but the site does show some hope...i am new..so if u already knew this..excuse me :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts