NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a 2000 gts with the premium sound system. I also have an aftermarket head unit with two sets of RCA outputs (not installed yet) and two subs in my box with my amp attached.

From everything i read it seems most people just buy the Scosche ta03 and do the noise reduction mod to it. The problem is that I dont think i have the electrical skills to perform that. So what are my options?

1) I heard i could keep the stock head unit and buy a line out converter(LOC) so it will give me the RCA outputs i will need. But then i am stuck with the stock head unit.

2) I could buy the wiring kit that bypasses the stock amplifier. But i have heard sound quality is poor?

3) Or someone with electrical skills could do the mod for me. I don't know if anyone does that on this forum?

What is my best option right now??? Any other options that you have would help too.

all help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
i also have a 02 gts. I have been trying to install a sub on my stock HU for a grip now, no one seems to give me a straight reply on wtf i am doing wrong. I got a line out converter, snipped my speakers wires behind the stock HU, hooked it all together, ran my RCA cables but the sub wont work =/

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Does the amp power on? If you use one of those RCA-to-headphone-jack adapters that come with computer speakers you should be able to hook headphones up to your RCA's and see if youre getting a signal out of them (or something along those lines, to rule out the LOC).

OP, you don't want to keep the stock deck if youre looking for quality. The mod is very simple to do, but if you reaaaaaaaly cant do it, Im sure there are people on the board that can do it for you. I would recommend doing the noise mod rather than using an LOC

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i will rule out using the stock hu because of poor sound quality.
I have heard that when you bypass the stock amp it sounds weak but would subs compensate for this or would it be poor quality as well?

I have read the how-to on the harness mod and i just can't follow it?

·
Registered
614 Posts
keep stock HU but bypass stock amp? Of course the sound quality is going to be poor and weak! What's the purpose of amp? To amplify the signal, increase the output. Stock GT-S HU doesn't have built-in preamp that's why you guys have external amp behind glove box. If you change HU to an aftermarket one you have to bypass that amp, because aftermarket HU had built-in preamp and if you trying to hook up new HU as is (w/o bypassing gt-s amp) it will give you distortion.
So, make up your mind if you want to keep stock HU or get an aftermarket one. And after you come up with decision, you can figure out how to hook up sub.

Sub is just another speaker, the only difference is that it can produce low frequency only. No, it wont compensate the poor sound.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have an aftermarket head unit. So if at all possible I would like to use the aftermarket. I have read and re read the how-to but i don't think i have the skills to do it.
Would anybody be willing to do the mod if i by the harness and throw them some money?

·
Registered
614 Posts
just don't be lazy, man )
The easiest way is just to rewire speakers. Meaning from the aftermarket HU add new wires all the way to the speakers if u don't want to touch stock wiring. Also if you want to pay, why don't you just go to audio shop?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont want to goto an audio shop because i have already done most of the work and they are still going to charge full price. I already took my 12v wire through the fire wall and ran all the other amp wires from my amp up to the front of the car. Im not trying to be lazy i just don't want to pay out the ass if there is an easier way that i can do myself.

·
Registered
614 Posts
ok, so here are your options.

If you are using stock speakers.
U can use mono/any channel amp.

If you are using aftermarket speakers.
U need to use 5 channel amp for 4.1 sound or 3 channel for 2.1 sound.

I personally use the second diagram, the only difference, I don't have any HU at all, I have pc and I have double 12" sub setup.

·
Registered
614 Posts
just dont forget to take out/unplug/disconnect stock amp and also what u need to find the wires coming to tweeter if you want one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, thanks alot for the diagram how hard was it to rewire all your speakers directly to the head unit? are there any how-to's on the internet that you know of? thanks alot man

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have GT and it didn't have premium package, so I just used the factory wiring and extended them to the amp which is in the trunk.

In your case you will have to figure out which wire goes where right after stock amp. Cut the wires coming from amp to speakers, extend them to your aftermarket HU. Its easy to do with the voltmeter (like this one)
When I was extending wires, I crossed the speakers and this voltmeter helped me to find the problem.

Again, if you dont want to touch stock wiring, add another pair of wires to each speaker. You will have to pull up the carpet probably or just do it under dash so it's not visible. It's even better if you are looking for good quality sound as stock wires are too thin.

·
Registered
614 Posts
wiring speakers to the HU is as hard as using solderer. I prefer solder every connection rather than crimp it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
^Did you hook up a Rem wire there a1montee?
i did exactly this...
Ran my Blue/Yellow/Red/White speaker wires behind my stock HU into the crossover, ran RCA's from the crossover to amp, ran the "p-con" spot on my amp to the 12+ ACC wire behind my HU. I dont know wat you mean by Rem?
other then the speaker wires i spliced i put in 3 wires, one to the Batt for power, one for a ground, and the other like i said for the p-con spot on my amp to the 12+acc wire.(gray)...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i did exactly this...
Ran my Blue/Yellow/Red/White speaker wires behind my stock HU into the crossover, ran RCA's from the crossover to amp, ran the "p-con" spot on my amp to the 12+ ACC wire behind my HU. I dont know wat you mean by Rem?
other then the speaker wires i spliced i put in 3 wires, one to the Batt for power, one for a ground, and the other like i said for the p-con spot on my amp to the 12+acc wire.(gray)...
remote wire from the headunit to the amp. Tells the amp when to turn on.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
here is wat i am talking about, i used the red/blue/yellow/white wires

in/out the crossover,

ran RCAs from the crossover to amp, Wired a wire to the gray wire shown in the picture

to my amp so it knows when to turn off/on. they grey wire being the 12+ACC wire. Still no sound from the sub, i get some whiny noise from my speakers to

·
Registered
614 Posts
man, you confusing me... Why would u need to wire ignition wire to the amp?
u have to run separate pair of wires from the battery to the amp. The only _power_ wire coming from HU to amp should be remote control wire (in most cases its blue in color).
If your HU doesnt have remote wire you can run a wire from Accy line to the amp but again you have to connect it to remote connector on the amp. Was that what you did? Anyway, is you amp turns on?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.