NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fridays i get paid, so obviously thursday i had 10 bucks in my account to hold me through till friday, friday i wake up to see how much money i got and i see that i had a 12 dollar charge go through from blockbuster from over a month ago?!? so that made me go under, + a 30 dollar overdraft fee so instead of me having 500 bucks, now i have 450 because blockbuster decided they could just take their time and charge my acount whenever they felt like it.. a month i'm serious.. it posted that i used the car on (2/16)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check card.. its most defenatly blockbusters fault.. they took a month to post something.. i was at first union a couple days ago to deposit an extra 15 bucks for one of my checks to go through and i asked the lady if i had anything on hold.. she said nope, nothing on hold.. so obviously, blockbuster woke up one morning and decided they were going to charge me.. yeah.. that was fixed quickly.. called first union this morning.. got my money back and at first the lady wanted me to take it out with blockbuster, and i was like ummm.. NO! i want money NOW!! so yeah, that didn't go over verry well..

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Sorry, my Russian brother, but I agree with Ja. I have made the same mistake before, but if you keep track of your spending you wouldn't have this problem.

You are lucky they removed the charge. It was your fault.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you look at it that way, yes, its my fault.. but let me let you know something.. if you buy something, and then you go back a month later and see that they haven't charged you for it... you think you got it free.. good for you.. later on they charge you, and a bit late.. now per say it wasn't 12 bucks.. let's say it was 200, 1000 bucks.. alright then.. as you have not noticed.. i said i got down to 10 bucks after paying bills.. got paid today, so now i'm back up to 500 alright then.. it just so happened they charged me on a thursday, right before i got paid..

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ps online money management is convenient enough for me not to write down in a checkbook everytime i use the card to buy a 72 cent soda at work ..

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
well, a merchant doesnt have a time limit on when to "charge" your account. All they are doing at the very minute you swipe the card is getting an authorization for the charge, some merchants are quicker than others to POST their transactions, posting meaning to actually get the $$ out of your account, than others. Apparently blockbuster is not one of them. *edit*, is just like a check, there's nothing saying that a merchant has to cash your check within a couple of days, hell they can take weeks to do it, but I just added this as information.

Also I think is shady of First Union to charge an "overdraft fee" when they have fees up the ying yang, like "maintenance fee", "check writing fee", "checkcard fee", they might as well charge you a "f*ck u up the as$ fee". That's why I say, f*ck commercial banks and try to get yourself in a credit union........n e ways enought about my bickering on banks....does First Union have an option to have a checking account free of BS charges?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
IrCGTS said:
ps online money management is convenient enough for me not to write down in a checkbook everytime i use the card to buy a 72 cent soda at work ..
I agree with this......I don't write down when I buy small stuff either, but as a general rule I never let my checking account drop below about $300.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r u a college student with bills? 300? i haven't even bought some of my books yet hoping to save an extra 50 bucks here and there.. there is no way i'm letting first union profit off 300 bucks that i will never access.. why? i keep about 90 percent of my pay circulating between bills, etc. and 10 percent in checking deposits to increase the some monetary base by a merely .000001 a percent

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I just graduated. So I have been there. It's all about priorities. Do you have $300 in mods on your car? I thought so.....therefore you could have saved some of that in your checking account instead of modding your car. Then you would have a cushion in your account for things like this. You chose to take your account down low instead.....that's cool...........it's your choice.........just don't blame it on somebody else when it botes you in the a$$.

·
Registered
220 Posts
JaCelica2k said:

I agree with this......I don't write down when I buy small stuff either, but as a general rule I never let my checking account drop below about $300.
Posts like that just seem rude. What do you do if you have to pay rent, tuition, utilities, car insurance, and grocery bills every month, but then this month you have a car problem or medical issue and just don't have the money to cover it? Life happens, and people overdraft. Saying that you keep extra money in the bank just rubs it in the face of those of us who cannot afford to do so. It is good advice, but just not practical for 99.9% of the world.

I am glad that YOU can keep a $300 buffer in there, but for those of us living month-to month, it is not that easy.

Sorry to sound like a d!ck, but I had some overdrafts a few months ago because I just don't make enough money to cover everything. Solution: I got a second job. But for some people it is not that easy.

Anyone who has enough sitting aroung to harp on those of us who do not, my paypal address is [email protected] so feel free to donate any time.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yes, and i don't pay for first union fees..

student checking accounts are free as long as i don't see the lady at the counter more than 3 times a month.. meaning i have do direct deposit or atm deposit.. there's no fees.. i've been with first union for over 5 years..

ps a merchant does have a time limit as to when to withdraw money from your acount.. i can easily deny a month later that i ever went to blockbuster and my credit union would have to refirbish that charge, and blockbuster would never get a dime.. that's when we go into a lawsuit.. they check my signature (this is why the merchant should make it important to check people's signature) if the signature does not match with my sig.. what do you think happens.. the charge gets dropped.. there are other ways for a merchant to protect that.. 1) back up tapes of register operation for atleast a week or two.. what happens then.. if a month later i get charged.. those backup tapes aren't even existant any more.. charge gets dropped.. there are a ton of ways you can get away without paying a dime if you get charged by the merchant a month after you authorize them to charge you..

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JaCelica2k said:
I just graduated. So I have been there. It's all about priorities. Do you have $300 in mods on your car? I thought so.....therefore you could have saved some of that in your checking account instead of modding your car. Then you would have a cushion in your account for things like this. You chose to take your account down low instead.....that's cool...........it's your choice.........just don't blame it on somebody else when it botes you in the a$$.
i've had my car for 2 years and have invested 1k in my car, and diana has probably invested another 1k in my car as well over those 2 years.. i've spent more on tobacco and coffee during that time.. school takes a lot of that money for books, tuition, etc.. i choose not to have 300 bucks in my bank account because if i need it, i'll use a credit car, then pay it off.. whooptie doo.. what will that 300 bucks get you if you ever need it.. not that much.. taking money and banking economics courses i've learned that an average american likes to keep 40% of earnings in checkable deposits and the other 60% in cash.. i doubt that's true for anyone.. there are a lot of americans that are millionaires and keep more than 100% in checkable deposits.. there are also americans that don't need a checking account for anything.. why not keep the 300 bucks in savings? why is it checking.. have you ever considered buying a bond or stock with the 300 bucks you have stashed away under your matress or are you seeing a huge return.. don't tell me how to manage money..

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
phenryiv1 said:

Posts like that just seem rude. What do you do if you have to pay rent, tuition, utilities, car insurance, and grocery bills every month, but then this month you have a car problem or medical issue and just don't have the money to cover it? Life happens, and people overdraft. Saying that you keep extra money in the bank just rubs it in the face of those of us who cannot afford to do so. It is good advice, but just not practical for 99.9% of the world.

I am glad that YOU can keep a $300 buffer in there, but for those of us living month-to month, it is not that easy.

Sorry to sound like a d!ck, but I had some overdrafts a few months ago because I just don't make enough money to cover everything. Solution: I got a second job. But for some people it is not that easy.

Anyone who has enough sitting aroung to harp on those of us who do not, my paypal address is [email protected] so feel free to donate any time.
Take it as you will, but it was not stated to be rude. Just honest........When you did overdraw, did you blame it on the people who charged you for your purchases or did you accept responsibility for it? That is my main problem with this post. Truth is, things do some up.....and sometimes my balance will go below that($300).....generally it does not. I also try to save money in savings to cover when "things come up". Truth is that most people make choices to live more extravagantly than they need to and then complain that they don't have enough money...........Actually.............I could have sworn that you posted just about a month ago about joining a new gym a month ago? Money must not be AS tight as you tried to make it sound. DOn't try to make me feel bad or look like an a$$ by portraying things in a light that are very different from the truth.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when it comes to a lawsuit b/n a merchant and a buyer.. most likely the merchant will not have enough evidence to hold the buyer if they take a month to collect a "credit" transaction.. yes there is merchant insurance if that happens... but insurance also chooses not to cover the merchant if they don't follow their guidelines, per say "30 days" or "14 days" to post a transaction.. i just think that certain blockbuster chain has poor management and taking a month to charge someone.. (its not a check where it got lost in a register or something) is ridiculous..

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
IrCGTS said:

#1 - more than 100% in checkable deposits.(There is no such thing as more than 100%)

#2 - why not keep the 300 bucks in savings? why is it checking.(Does your check card......that you use for purchases.........that overdrew your account.................pull from checking or savings?)

#3 - don't tell me how to manage money (When you come on here blaming someone else for overdrawing your account you obviously need someone to tell you about managing money)..

·
Registered
220 Posts
JaCelica2k said:

Take it as you will, but it was not stated to be rude. Just honest........When you did overdraw, did you blame it on the people who charged you for your purchases or did you accept responsibility for it? That is my main problem with this post. Truth is, things do some up.....and sometimes my balance will go below that($300).....generally it does not. I also try to save money in savings to cover when "things come up". Truth is that most people make choices to live more extravagantly than they need to and then complain that they don't have enough money...........Actually.............I could have sworn that you posted just about a month ago about joining a new gym a month ago? Money must not be AS tight as you tried to make it sound. DOn't try to make me feel bad or look like an a$$ by portraying things in a light that are very different from the truth.
Sorry, I did not mean to use your particular post- bad choice for me. I was not meaning to make you look bad, it just felt condescending when several posters talked about maintaining minimum balances.

About my financial situation, it went like this:

I get paid 2x a month. I also was selling stereos on eBay and putting the paypal balance in my bank account. POaypal was slow getting the $ transferred sometimes. The bank was slow posting it.

I went in to the bank to cash a check. My bank policy will NOT let you cash personal checks if you do not have the funds to cover it. I knew that I had paypal $ coming in, but was not sure when. My online banking is 24 hours behind the "real" balance. The bank let me cash a check when I was overdrafted by about $6. MY mistake on the overdraft, THEIR mistake on not telling me, andfor allowing me to cash the check. Over the next day, i used the card for little stuff- $10 in gas, coffee, a 12 pack, etc. EVERY draft was accepted by the bank "as a courtesy," but they charged me $30 each time. By the time I caught it, it was $540 in charges, and not ONE SINGLE charge was over $30 (the amount of the FEE for the overdraft). Then, I made a deposit (from paypal) which had me in the good -just barely- but I got one more draft that had been held a few days and that started it all over again. Fortunately, I had NOT used the card any more. In the end, the bank took off most of the charges because they failed in their duty to inform me that I was overdrafted while I was at the counter, plus they violated the agreement to not cash checks w/o adequate funding.

About my CURRENT finances, I got a second job. I work about 75-80 hours a week so that i do NOT have to worry with that again. I had so much left over that I bought my wife her celica. Regardless, my point is that for people w/o the ability or circumstances to work as much as I do (such as students or parents), having a buffer is simply not an option all of the time.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1.) first off.. you don't read the post clearly they keep more than 100% of their income in checkable deposits.. meaning.. if i make 1000 dollars a month and my checking account has 50000 that is a bit more than 100% of my income.. but as surveys say.. the average in america is 40% of income.. if i make 1000 bucks.. most likely i have 400 in the bank account.. the other 600 gets spent on bills, etc.. no other savings from previous months, years, etc.. this is checking deposits.. so there is such a thing as more than 100%, its looking at deposits vs. income

2.) pulls from checking.. but you can always set up an account at most banks to pull from savings if checking is overdrawn .. another thing.. this is a 12 dollar blockbuster fee that i simply put in the back of my head.. at the time i went to blockbuster i can assure you i had 500 bucks in my bank account, but as the 2 weeks in fact 1 month narrowed i've already made 2 extra paychecks.. etc.. saved enough, spent enough.. paid off plenty of bills, etc.. u can tell me while i'm sending out motorcycle payments, insurance payments, etc.. that 12 dollar blockbuster fee should come through as the other bills
3) yeah, i have someone telling me how to manage my account, and its not you.. i know where the money goes from my checking account, and i'm glad that i live life happily with plenty of shtuff cause that's what life is about "george carlin's words" to collect stuff, so don't compare my car to your car, don't tell me oh i could've saved 100 or 200 bucks without buying this or that.. well, you could've 5g's if you went to a trade school and not a college or if you didn't pay for insurance, blah blah blah.. or if you didn't eat at this restaurant or didn't smoke.. don't tell me how to live life, what to buy and not to buy.. in the end.. i have shtuff and you have 300 bucks..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts