NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, but not a Celica. It's a 2ZZ swapped MR2, with C56 transmission currently. Reaching the alternator is a bit more difficult, but I think this mod will be very complimentary to my future supercharger build.
It can't hurt, it'll be interesting to know your impressions as well.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yes, but not a Celica. It's a 2ZZ swapped MR2, with C56 transmission currently. Reaching the alternator is a bit more difficult, but I think this mod will be very complimentary to my future supercharger build.
Great project! Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'll be interested to hear how it feels on a manual car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok so maybe I lied about the timetable.... But I did install it today! I've only gone for a single 10 minute test drive but initial impressions are very satisfying!
Hard off and on throttle is smoother, deceleration out of gear is a bit slower. High RPM shifting is WAY smoother. The best way to describe it is... Smoother. I'm positive this is much more effective for decreasing engine load than a lightweight alternator pulley, or even underdriving. The rotational mass of the alternator itself being decoupled from the pulley system is a respectable gain. There may even be a touch more power, I can't judge that yet... ECU needs to relearn it's fueling still.
My usb charger is also my voltmeter.... So far voltage is consistently 14.2+. No noticable difference in voltage output.

Update: nearly every upshift feels perfect. It's very difficult to make a jarring upshift now.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Exactly what I felt as well, so weird that such a small change makes such a noticable difference. I can't even imagine driving the car without the pulley, I did Tail of the Dragon 4 times yesterday with a lot of shifting between 1st and 2nd gears and A LOT of high RPM time and harsh on/off throttle and engine braking in 1st gear and the engine felt smooth as butter on/off power even at 8,000 RPM. It feels like the car is better balanced when you're hard bashing on and off throttle than it ever was before.

Funny, I was thinking about this thread and wondering what ever happened just before I left while I was inspecting the car prior to my long drive. I'm really glad to hear it's not just me imagining things and being weird!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am envious of your proximity to the dragon... I'll make it up there someday...
It's not a placebo, there is definitely a positive effect present. Thanks a ton for going through the efforts to find the right pulley to make this work!
On that note, would you mind if I crosspost this to other forums? Credit will be given where credit is due, of course.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Exactly what I felt as well, so weird that such a small change makes such a noticable difference. I can't even imagine driving the car without the pulley, I did Tail of the Dragon 4 times yesterday with a lot of shifting between 1st and 2nd gears and A LOT of high RPM time and harsh on/off throttle and engine braking in 1st gear and the engine felt smooth as butter on/off power even at 8,000 RPM. It feels like the car is better balanced when you're hard bashing on and off throttle than it ever was before.

Funny, I was thinking about this thread and wondering what ever happened just before I left while I was inspecting the car prior to my long drive. I'm really glad to hear it's not just me imagining things and being weird!
This, with an auto trans...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I am envious of your proximity to the dragon... I'll make it up there someday...
It's not a placebo, there is definitely a positive effect present. Thanks a ton for going through the efforts to find the right pulley to make this work!
On that note, would you mind if I crosspost this to other forums? Credit will be given where credit is due, of course.
Go for it, Halo is already asking me to explain it so he can explain it on the Spyder forums LOL!
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/alternator-pulley-evolution/
Kind of explains it, one way clutch AND a damper to absorb shock. It lets the alt free wheel on decel and it softens the blow to the belt tensioner at the same time. Not having however many pounds of force slamming the tensioner on slowing is good but the spring dampens both ways to reduce shock on the belt and by extension the engine somewhat also. Whatever, it feels really nice.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It certainly seems worth noting for those reading this post.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts